Topic

lightest waterproof shell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightest waterproof shell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

" Seams that have just straight been stitched through, not sealed, will leak"

It should be taken for granted that any, ANY rainwear that you add your own stitches to will need to sealed over that area. It may be less apparent that you should also seam seal the factory provided zipper stitching on your DriDucks, as this is not a sealed seam off-the-shelf. It doesn't take long (not like working with smelly sticky silicone sealants), nor add much weight.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

You are wise, Lynn, as your 4.06 (!!!) BPL rating must surely indicate. If I owned a $200 rain shell, I'd probably seal the seams anyway, JIC, just like I do the seams of that $300 shelter.

Stargazer

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Another vote from me. 7.7oz in large, does what it's supposed to do. It's what I'd carry on a trip where the odds of consistent rain were +50%, otherwise I'd take my chances with my Golite Poncho tarp.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Don't really need the sack, come to think of it."

I roll up my DriDucks and use a hair elastic (0.05oz) to keep each piece rolled.

Christine Thuermer

@chgeth

Locale: Germany

I have used the Golite Poncho Tarp a lot, but it has its limitations (probably like all ponchos).
    If you are hiking in high winds it is a nightmare. If you have to do a lot of scrambling, a poncho is a problem.
    And no matter what I do, after extensive rain I always have wet arms.
    Therefore I would only carry it when I do not expect a lot or rain.
    I used it on the New Mexico section of the CDT – it hardly ever rains there, so I did not carry a tent or other rain gear. The poncho tarp was perfect for that purpose. For anything else, I would take a real jacket or pullover.

David Ure

@familyguy

As a side note, I have bushwacked a lot with the Zealot and not a mark on it. I shredded a pair of DriDucks within 4 minutes once. Waterproof and breathable…yes. Durable – only on perfectly groomed trails.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Yea I've crashed on my mountain bike with the DIAD. It's not bomber but it survived with only a small hole. Dryducks would have had a lot of duck tape on them after that crash :)

Keith Sanders

@keithro

Another nod to the Zealot, just picked one up for sale from backcountry and it's a nice piece of equipment.

Andy Waters

@dirtyhiker

Locale: NC mountains

At around 6 ozs for a medium the new marmot mica is working wonders for me.. i'm kinda surprised nobody else here has mentioned it.. I have personally carried water in it just to see if i could, and as far as its ability to breathe, i haven't found anything better…
    Hope this helps.. I'll stay tuned as i'm curious to see how this pans out..

Quick edit…. theres a whole tread on the mica… Check it out.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I found the North Face Triumph Anorak (5.4oz) on sale for $107 (from $180) here:
    http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/TNF4017/The-North-Face-Triumph-Anorak-Jacket-Mens.html?avad=932_d562c31

They're out of size medium though…bummer.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've been using Cabela's Rainy River PacLite parka and pants for 3 years and love them. The Parka is now $99. and the pants the same price. No pit zips because it vents through the large slant chest pockets if necessary.

In my size, Large, Tall, the Rainy River parka weighs 15 oz. That puts it in the "light" category, but certainly not SUL. But to me a breathable rain/wind parka is a SAFETY item. I will not compromise a few ounces for less durability.

Excellent quality and great features. Only REI's eVent parka, for over 2X as much tempts me – but it's not as light and doesn't come in Tall sizes like the Cabela's parka. I like the Tall size even though I'm 5' 10" B/C it covers my butt better. Tall parkas are about $10. more & have longer arms, nice when you have to reach for something in the pouring rain.

Eric

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I just weighed my size small marmot essence. Came in at 6oz even

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools