Topic

New MLD SuperLight Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New MLD SuperLight Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

2010 Superlight Bivy on the MLD website.

New one has been shipping for about 2 weeks – all pending orders get the new one!

Shape optimized for NeoAir and thicker type pads – mainly a larger shaped foot box.

Larger face net and full head area net option.

Full eVENT foot end panel.

MLD Superlight Bivy 2010

Peace,
    Ron

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Ron, to share my enthusiasm with others in the forums, I used your Superlight bivy (large) this year on the JMT inside a tarp tent and loved it immensely. The large supports the neo air (even though I returned the neo air and went back to the 1" thick Montbell sleeping pad which I like better). The bivy is great for a whole host of multi-purpose reasons: (a) breaks the wind which seems to easily penetrate a tarp tent and sleeping bag at high altitudes, (b) provides extra ground protection to the sleeping pad against punctures, (c) keeps my body positioned on top of the sleeping pad (which is inside the bivy of course), (d) serves as a light sheet when it's too hot early in the evening to be inside the sleeping bag, rather I just lay on top of the sleeping bag/on top of the sleeping pad/but inside the bivy, (e) and provides about 5-10 degrees extra warmth on top of what the sleeping bag provides. It weighs less having the bivy with a 32 F WM summerlite than taking along instead a 20 F WM sleeping bag and accomplishes the extra warmth as well as the othe functions listed above. On top of that, it takes up less space than the warmer bag too. I highly recommend the bivy to high sierra hikers. I don't have the eVent bottom, but had no problem with my sleeping bag getting condensation wet. The breathable Momentum (is that the fabric used) works just great on top side of bivy.

David Ure

@familyguy

I think Roleigh is looking for a discount on a new one…;)

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

No need for me to get a new one, I am not using the NeoAir (and like I said, my extra-large bivy size fits the Neoair anyway–I tried it for awhile). And as good as the existing one is, I can't imagine it wearing down. Very well made. The eVent footing seems interesting, but my experience in the High Sierra shows no need for it (yet).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Nice bivy! Wish, though, that the full head net option still had solid fabric to zip over it (or does it, doesn't look like it on the site). That would make it useful year round!

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

G'Day Ron,

I sent you a PM regarding some questions I have, Im in the market for a new Bivy.

Cheers
    Mark

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools