Topic

Bike frame packs, Bibs to pants conversion.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bike frame packs, Bibs to pants conversion.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

pack1pack2pack2trailBibs 1bibs2

DIY bike frame pack Version 1 – works great, but its narrowness restricted volume. Also, fit and finish wasn't the greatest (don't look too close) and hard to put on around the front derailleur and cables

DIY bike frame pack Version 2 – much more volume due to extra width, only 1 zipper and compartment (more usable volume) and much better fit and finish

I got to chop up some Brand New Arcteryx bibs for a friend, to turn them into pants for him. It was an easy conversion, and very fun to take scissors to brand new expensive gear.

I've also made a high volume running/biking pack with a running vest suspension like my Nathan HPL 020 pack, but more volume. I don't have any good surveillance pics of that one yet.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Nice work on the frame bag, those are tricky. Eric makes all mine :)

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

That is a million times better looking than pannier bags. I have been thinking about biking self contained but I'll probably stick with attaching items directly to my bike if needed.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I like it too, nice work. I do a good deal of bike commuting- been wanting to build a frame pack for a while.
    Thanks for adding one more thing to my list of projects.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Good work on the frame bag. Function is king.

Once you have a frame bag, you'll wonder how you ever made due without. Panniers are no good.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Jeremy, I'm looking at getting my bikepacking kit going as well. I'd like to try sewing one but don't have a good feeling for what details, features and methods are best since I've never had one in hand.

Do you mind sharing fabric selection, width, translating your frame template to fabric patterns any issues to watch out for…

I'm also curious how much gear you can get in there without it expanding so much that it gets in the way. I'm running a rigid single speed so there are no derailleurs or shocks to get in the way.

Very nice job by the way!

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Don a frame pack would have to be really big to get in the way singlespeeding. It's all I do and I've never had an issue. Check out Epic Designs for really awesome stuff or ideas. Eric posts here now and then and he makes all my bags, winter or summer.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Chris, I'm guessing I'll end up buying something from Eric but I'd like to take a hack at making my own over the winter. I regularly go to his website for a little backpacking Christmas shopping. :)

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

Version 3 frame pack, V1 seat bag, on the "road" bike for a long day ride in the winter.
    frame pack V3 Fisticuff

Version 4
    frame pack V4

Version 5 – XPAC 200 denier fabric, best fit and zipper tension yet! Vertical velcro divider, 2 zipper pulls.
    frame pack V5

Version 6 – XPAC, catenary curve cutout for water bottle, fits pump along seat tube, vertical velcro divider.

frame pack V6 General

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools