Topic

My 3 season gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My 3 season gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Locale: Minnesota

I have no scale so I deleted everything.

UPDATE: I found a scale to use so tomorrow I will have weights for everything.

I mostly go on trips in northern MN.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Are you looking for suggestions to save weight/items you could potentially drop?

If you are, can you add the weights of your current items? Also, describe the areas you commonly hike and the normal temp range/ terrain.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Mike – please – add weights on every item.

I quickly reviewed your list – and be prepared – you will get some opinions. Remember, this is a sight for LIGHTWEIGHT backpacking, and your list is what would be called "traditional"

People take these lists very seriously. Nobody is going to pay much attention unless you have the exact weights of each peice of gear. If you dont't have a digital postal scale, you won't be taken seriously.

How are your EXCEL skills?

THere are some excellent templates as a starting point. Like this:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/wilderness_trekking_school_gear_list.html

NOTE: there is a link on the first paragraph with an excel spread sheet template.

Also add where you goin: Altitude, season, duration of proposed trip, solo or in a group.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What pray tell do you do with an ax?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Obviously there is a lot to say here, but first the first thing that would help is knowing more about the temperatures and conditions you expect to encounter, but I’ll go ahead and give a few suggestions anyways.

Ax – really, an ax, unless you are a firefighter or trail maintainer, there is no reason to carry an ax in the backcountry, no matter how small it is.

50ft nylon rope – perhaps it is just worded rope and this is lightweight cord for bear bagging, but I have seen way too many people carry rope in the backcountry for no reason at all.

REI Monarch Boots – once you go to trailrunners you will never go back

OR Rocky Mt High Gaiters- this obviously isn’t a snow list, so these are way overkill. If you must have gaiters, look at the Integral Designs eVent Shorty Gaiters.

5 liters of water storage? If you like hydration bladder, platypus bladders are a lot lighter than camelback. I would think in Minnesota, you could get by with 2 liters.

REI First Aid Kit – this has to be heavy, make your own kit for 2oz.

Plastic Trowel – You could probably just use your heel or trekking pole

Leatherman Blast – 6.9oz! You can easily have more knife than you need for under 1oz. I like the Spyderco Ladybug.

Carbiners – You probably don’t need these, I don’t carry any anymore even for bear bagging, and haven’t missed a thing.

REI Double Wall Ti Mug – Ditch this and drink out of your pot

.9L SS Pot – Try a Ti pot and a smaller .6L volume for solo use.

Candle Lantern – Why would you need this when you have a headlamp.

Instant Cold Packs – What in the heck are these?

Bandanas – Most people are fine with one

TNF Shirt – Why this extra shirt? If you want something for sleeping in, you can get something lighter

REI Sahara Down Bag – Obviously you could go a lot lighter here, but of course that costs money.

BA Seedhouse SL2 – I owned and used a SL1 for years so I like the tents, but it is a bit much for solo use.

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Ax- This is a pointless item to carry I admit. I like to have a little fire and since it is a little fire little wood on the ground works best.

50ft nylon "rope"- this is just small cord for hanging food. I plan on replacing this for some better cord like spectra.

REI Monarch boots- I got these for a birthday present. Since they were free I used them

OR gaiters- yes these are overkill. I am better off just tucking my pant legs in my socks

5L water storage- The camelbak bladder was something I already had. I can get by with just 2L of water so I guess I will ditch the bladder.

First aid kit- this is heavy. I never use the moleskin or anything else really. I can probably just get by with some gauze and tape.

trowel- I am going to ditch this.

Leatherman- this is heavy. I like spyderco knives so thank you for the suggestion.

carabiners- I can just use knots for now on

REI double wall TI mug- will ditch this

.9L SS pot- I will get the .6L TI pot as suggested

Candle Lantern- This is not needed. The light it gives me is totally useless

Instant Cold Packs- I have these because my friend I go with has bad knees. They are just like the compresses you put in your freezer. Kinda like the heat packs you can put in your gloves except they get cold instead of hot.

Bandannas- I don't know why I carry two. I will ditch one

TNF shirt- this is a long sleeved shirt. I guess I can just wear this one without my short sleeved shirt underneath.

REI Sahara bag- This was another gift I received. It is only 650 down I believe. I am going to get a nice quality down quilt to replace this.

BA Seedhouse SL2- Another gift for a birthday. I am going to get a 8'x10' tarp and bug bivy to replace this.

I am sorry for wasting everybody's time by not including weights with my gear list. I am going to weigh everything tomorrow so once I have the weights I will post my gear list again. I know this is a site for lightweight backpacking and my current list is a traditional gear list. I did not know anybody that backpacks when I got into it. Because of that I got what I thought was needed to go backpacking and have been very wasteful in doing so.

I really want to make the switch to UL backpacking and that is why I am here. I feel very clueless about all of this. Again I am sorry for wasting everybody's time with this thread.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Not a waste of time at all. You have already learned alot. Keep reading! Edit the list as you go and watch the weight you carry shrink.

I think it is safe to say that almost all of us started carrying heavy stuff, you will get to your comfort weight in time. Unfortunately it takes alot of time and money to figure it out. Your knowledge is the best thing you can carry, it ways nothing.

Think about adding a balaclava for your head at night.
    Investigate the cookset you want, find the pot that best fits your needs. i.e. if you want a caldera cone setup, find the pot you want first that has a cone. You should never buy any piece of gear until you have checked its specs against what else is out there, this will help with the money aspect. The gear swap here is a great place to find some good transition gear. search and then search some more.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

It seems like you're going to be off to a good start and I'll wait until you post weights, but just a couple of general comments after your last reply…

Be careful grabbing any old cord for bear bagging. Some cord provides too much friction and if you have a good amount of food (several days or maybe several of your friends all sharing the same bagging system) you won't be able to pull it up the tree.

For example, my first try was with Kelty triptease and it does not work well for bear bagging.

My favorite bear bagging cord is the one Mountain Laurel Designs sells specifically for bear bagging.

I've paired 40' of the MLD cord with a mini biner, cuben rock sack, and cuben stuff sack (all from Joe Valeska at Zpacks) for a complete bear bagging system that works awesome and weighs 1.54 ounces.

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Mike,

I live in Minnetonka. My transition to lightweight has taken plenty of money during the last 4 years. If you want to see and compare some actual gear for ideas before investing into further gear for yourself, email me at [email protected]. Among other gear, I can show you a modified 8×10 tarp bug free shelter (16 oz.). I'm now trying to figure out what shelter(s) to make out of cuben fiber.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Hi Mike,

I am in mn too, and I also like having fires and using my little gasifying wood burning stove. Instead of using an axe a light weight option for splitting wood is to buy a Mora knife and baton the wood like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlhXuweBj4

Not the best batoning job, but that is a Mora.
    And moras weigh less than 3 ounces. I think it is a perfect weight "splurge" for mn.

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

John,
    I've had the same problem with high friction on the Kelty Triptease on heavy bear bags. My solution so far has been to make hanging the bear bag a two-person effort… someone picks up a big stick and uses it to push the bag higher into the air, which essentially reduces the weight and allows it to be pulled as high as you want it. It's not a perfect solution, but so far it has been worth it for the reflective properties of the Triptease cord. Have you found a reflective bear bag cord with low friction?

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Tim, is that picture of you up in the tree adjusting your bear bag…? :-)

To answer your question, I didn't specifically look for a reflective line. I was more interested in something that glided nicely. The MLD cord is great but not reflective although it is bright green.

Danielle Williams
    BPL Member

@danilou22

Locale: Colorado

Hey Mike, we all start somewhere, and it's certainly no waste of time to ask for advice! Besides, I think you'll find that most people here LOVE to give advice about gear! It's an evolution, and it will take some time (and money) to change things out.

Anyway, in regard to bear bagging, I found the Air Core stuff sold here in gear shop is great. In those northern MN trees it doesn't get held up like other cord I've tried in the past. Nice and light and won't knot up on itself, I use a hiking pole to boost up the bag while pulling to cord to help keep from cutting into the branch.

I have a Virga and I love the pack, so I hope you enjoy yours too. Looking forward to your updated list, I think you'll be shocked at how much all the little "extras" are weighing you down!

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

"Tim, is that picture of you up in the tree adjusting your bear bag…? :-)"

John — hardly — that's just where I sleep when I'm going ultra-super-light. Trees are comfy, stable and help improve your balance. :)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools