Topic

Four Lake Loop — Trinity Alps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Four Lake Loop — Trinity Alps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Last weekend got the chance to hike the Four Lake Loop in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. The weather was perfect, and there was still a fair amount of snow from the first winter storm that had mostly melted. We didn't see a soul on the trip and had the traverse around Siligo peak all to ourselves.

The first night we intended to make the cross-country trip to Lake Anna, but the steep gulch was rather snowy and we were worried without ice axes, it could be a treacherous descent in the morning. So we camped below bee tree gap and enjoyed a great show with a clear view of Gibson peak. The next day we camped below Luella lake and made a trip up Seven Up Peak to the Saddle between it and Gibson Peak for a view down the adjacent canyon.

Both nights I slept in my new RAB alpine bivy and loved seeing the stars (including shooting stars) whenever I stirred. Was a great experience, and I loved the bivy.

Here are some photos.

Around Bee Tree Gap:

Bee Tree Gap

Bee Tree Gap

Bee Tree Gap

The view from my bivy: Gibson Peak.

Gibson Peak

Climbing towards Deer Lake:

Duck Creek Pass

Duck Creek Pass

Deer Lake

Deer Lake

Deer Lake

Deer Lake

Deer Lake

Summit Lake:

Summit Lake

The Sawtooth Range from above Diamond Lake:

Sawtooth Mountain Diamond Lake

Luella Lake:

Luallen Lake

Seven Up Mountain and Gibson Peak's unlikely union:

Gibson Peak

Meadow below Deer Lake

View from my Bivy night 2: Gibson Peak from beyond the pass:

Gibson Peak

On the way out, clear skies and a view of Mt. Lassen:

Bee Tree Gap

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Cool! We were out there with a group a few weeks ago, I definitely want to explore the area further.

What trailhead did you start at?

What approx. were daytime and nightime temps? (I'm obsessed with temps!)

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Hey David,

We started at Long Canyon Trailhead. This is a nice trailhead because it's closer to I-5 than the others, and is the quickest route to the four lakes loop. It was 5 miles to the pass above Deer Lake and pretty much uphill the whole way. After that it was a lot of ups and downs, but over relatively short distances (1-2 miles) and with constantly changing views. Had we stayed an extra day it would have been easy to get over to Sapphire lake through the Stuart fork canyon.

Temps varied wildly. Day one was very autumnal, with high maybe around 60 and lows in the upper 30's. Day two started colder (the pass was very windy and cold) but didn't get that cold at night, maybe 35. Day 3 was amazing, as it really warmed up, and was probably up to 75 on the way out — hot at the lower elevation when in direct sunlight.

There was a storm scheduled for this week, but I think it probably fizzled out, so this weekend might be a possibility. It will get snowed in any week now….

Dave T

@davet

Anonymous
    Inactive

Very nice pics, Nate. Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools