Topic

Australian bush gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Australian bush gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Smith

@thyreffa

Deleted

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Hi Andrew,

First post to the group, so Welcome!

Take a read of my article published this week, Transitional Hiker , it will give you some ideas as to where to start if you are looking to lighten that HEAVY load you are carrying.

Looking at what you have listed above;

Black wolf pinnacle pack – Drop this and go for something a heap lighter e.g ULA, Golite or even Osprey.

Macpac roamer 150 sleeping bag – SE Queensland I would go for a quilt, save yourself a few hundred grams.

Closed cell foam mat – This is ok.

Australian army Hootchie (tarp) – At 1 kg for a tarp alone, Ouch, if you are a tarp user and want to stay that way look for something a lot lighter, check out MLD website.

light tarp (not sure what brand) as ground sheet – Ok so we 1.5 kg for tarp and ground cover, you could get a tarp tent for less than that, check out Henry Shires Tarptents. I use Tyvex as a ground sheet when needed, weight is 198g.

2x military 1l canteens (full) – plastic coke bottles or similar will do just as well.

shirt: 100g – There are lighter options.

2x pair socks: 200g – My socks are about 48g per pair, I use DeFeet, you can get here at most cycling shops.

beanie + thermals: 500g – you can prob save a few hundred here also, check out the hikign stores and see what they have, mine are by Mountain Designs and weigh 310g.

Mini trangia + fuel: 750 kg – ARRGGGG, drop this straight away, 750 g for a stove setup, check out some light weight alcohol stoves or solid fuel. Lots and Lots of better options out there. Why is it that every Aussie hiker I see on the trail has a Trangia :)

1.5 kg food for 3 days (I dont carry a lot, only bfast and dinner, lunch is foraged or anzac biscuits) – still a bit heavy, what are you meals?

Cheers
    Mark

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Ok and the meat is dehydrated? and the fruit, are you carrying whole fresh?

Cheers
    Mark

John Smith

@thyreffa

yeah meat is dehydrated, take apples or oranges/mandarins for b/fast most times, is longer than a week end i take cereal to save on just a bit of weight

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools