Topic

Olympus E-620 Digital SLR Camera Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Olympus E-620 Digital SLR Camera Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I've been using a GF1 for the past week or so and find a great difference between it and my LX3 images. The GF1's images have much greater detail and they "look" better. While I used the LX3 last weekend for an overnight trip — it is lighter and I wanted to make sure I knew the new camera well enough — I have no doubt that the GF1 will replace it as backpacking gear. It isn't that much heavier. This from today…

Wreck

Ross Williams

@xavi1337

Locale: Korea

The LX3 is another great camera, but its 2.5x zoom might turn some people off. It also has a sensor only slightly larger than that of the G10/S90. My main issue with the LX3 however is that the controls are just not as natural as on the S90.

The GF1 should really be looked at as a HD video camera first, and still shots second. This thing with outperform all nikons and Canons in HD video ands down. If you want to stick to photos, the EP-1 may be a more convenient choice.

I currently take a D90 into the field with a 35mm prime for most everything, but find it too bulky. I'm looking for my next camera to be a film rangefinder at 500g including lens. If someone could fit a modern lens and metering system on a Holga I'd snap one up in a heartbeat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ross, how about a Mamiya 7 II ;)

Ross Williams

@xavi1337

Locale: Korea

@alexander
    2.5 pounds is a bit much for me as well as the price.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was just teasing… ;) But, I want one anyhow.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

"If someone could fit a modern lens and metering system on a Holga I'd snap one up in a heartbeat." Ah but then it wouldn't be a Holga:) I am definitely going to take my Holga on the next trip I do and see how I get on.

Larry Risch

@dayhiker

dpreview has a review of this which it compares somewhat to the Olympus E-P1.

He notes a few advantages of E-P1, but I don't think i have ever read such an enthusiastic conclusion. I have yet to read it close enough to see what he likes about it over the E-P1.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There was also a nice comparison between olympus e-p1 and panasonic ep1 at http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/11/panasonic-gf1-vs-olympus-ep1-part-ii.html

Darryl Romm

@lyrrad

Locale: Greater London

Fuji do some rangefinders that are highly recommended.

GW690
    GW680
    GS645

I believe above have fixed lens but I am not too sure on that. I do know one of them comes with interchangable lens but can't verify which model.

Trevor Warmedahl

@chokmah33

what tent is that in the morning after thunderstorm pic?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Alan,
    In your review you state-

"The E-620 has made a significant improvement in dynamic range over its predecessors, especially in the ability to capture highlights. In fact, at ISO 200, it has one of the largest dynamic ranges of a lightweight DSLR."

How do you evaluate this range? What spec's would tell me about the dynamic range of this camera compared to some other camera?

And thanks for your insights. I find them relevant and informative, especially in regard to "being out there", being spontaneous, and being light.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

New York Times comparison of Panasonic Lumix GF1 and Canon Powershot S90 with side by side photo comparisons.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/technology/personaltech/12pogue.html

Gabriel Slatton

@fishfinger

I have never used a nice dslr so I have some studying to do about photography for sure but I am fed up with usuing my little P&S and trying the get nice pictures. I like the sound of this camera and will take the time to learn about it. My question is when do you think they might come out with this unit with the HD video capibility in it? I could wait until late spring to buy since I will not be going back packing until June.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Gabriel,

As is typical Oly has been quite mum about forthcoming dslr bodies so we're left to speculate, and you know how reliable that is.

Speculation follows.

It's presumed the next Oly announcement will be the E-3 replacement and that it will have video if for no other reason than the competetion have video. That will be a big, heavy and expensive body.

We don't know what's to become of the 4XX and 5xx series, since the 620 straddles them in size and exceeds them in features. The presumption is the 6## series will continue and one or both of the others will be dropped.

Since you can wait until mid-2010 sit tight, as the announcements *should* come Q1/10, with product releases by mid-year. If the E-# has video, it will indicate the feature will trickle down through the rest of the line. If not, then Oly is leaving video to µ4/3.

End of speculation.

Since video is handled much better by µ4/3 than any dslr, you might want to look at Panny's and Oly's offerings in that format if video is critical to your needs. DSLRs are still the way to go for fast shooting though, including entry-level models, even if the video is clunky.

Cheers,

Rick

Gabriel Slatton

@fishfinger

I know next to nothing about real photography so much of what is said here is greek to me. I plan on taking a class or something in order to gain some lingo knowledge and working ability etc. Sounds like this camera will be fine for me and I like the weight factor. If I want to do video I can buy one of those little HD recorders that are small and light. I want a camera for taking still shots of scenery and wild life and what you had to say about how easy this unit was to operate and carry on your chest while packing really spoke to me. That is key for me. It looks like it takes fantastic photos compared to the crummy little older model p&s I have been usuing. I think I will go ahead and by this unit sooner rather than later so that I can get the hang of using it before my trips this next summer. Like I said my first trip will be in June and then I plan on four more. One each month through October. If I buy it in say April and get a few lessons under my belt I should be good to go by June. Where can I take photography lessons? Do Camera shops offer them? I have seen them at the local collages I think. Any sudgestions on how to learn what the heck I am doing?

Gerald Miller
    BPL Member

@colnagospud

Locale: Northern California

Thanks Rick…santa took your advice and brought one to our house yesterday,
    gerry

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools