Topic

GoLite Reed Rain Pant. Available?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite Reed Rain Pant. Available?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

I really want to pick up a lightweight rain pant, but these appear to be only available in XL. I normally wear a Medium. Can anyone tell me if this product is available, if there is a better product, where to buy it?

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA
    Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

DriDucks is it. There's nothing else I know of that's both 4 ozish and waterproof. Golite is no longer making the reed pant.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Not really unless you're careful and mostly on trails.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

So what is there from 4-5.5 oz that is waterproof and durable?

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Montane featherlite are not really waterPROOF, they are water REPELLENT, but pretty durable, windproof and ~4oz. I love mine. Not sure where you could buy in the US, their website is http://www.montane.co.uk. They might ship here, I bought mine while I was on vacation in UK. Good luck!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Nothing that I know of if you want any breathability. If you just want waterproof, something made of silnylon would work.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What about the MLD rain chaps? You need a longer jacket or poncho to cover your groin area, but the chaps are exceptionally light and waterproof.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

I just need a go to emergency solution for unexpected rain on a multi day backpack trip.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

My wind/rain jacket is a Marmot Essence.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I just get wet.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

… shorts. Mike C! advocates rain "skirts" for me. I tried cutting the legs off a driducks and making a "kilt" thingy. Pretty good, actually, but your legs do get wet…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Golite discontinued the Reed Pant? That is very surprising, it was the "Gold Standard" of UL rain pants. Any reason as to why?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I use Montane Atomic Pants Lightest waterproof/breathable pants i could find. The latest model has a few changes from mine.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

No idea. All of the new GoLite clothing (except some base layers) and the majority of the gear all got heavier for 2010.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Another vote for the Atomic DT pants from me.

Surprisingly, I even have a photo:

Entrant-DT

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Golite discontinued the Reed Pant? That is very surprising, it was the "Gold Standard" of UL rain pants. Any reason as to why?"

It seems to me that Golite is changing their focus from gear that is light (to carry) towards gear that is light on the planet (ie. environmentally friendly). That is their new slogan on their website and it jives with their updated products like the 2010 Jam that uses heavier recycled fabrics. It also explains their new RS (recycled synthetic) line of sleeping bags which will be out shortly.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools