Topic

Caldera Cone gas conversion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Caldera Cone gas conversion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is my CC gas conversion.
    I stripped the stove down by removing the legs/stand and making some lw legs for it. Those legs lock into place via the butterfly nut. Keep in mind that they only hold the stove up. As it is now the stove is 105 g. (3.7oz)
    The all system (stove,550ml pot and protective container) is 305 g. (10.7oz)
    The stove can be used with the cartridge upside down.
    As a comparison, using the TrailDesign stove , the kit (alcohol stove,cone,pot,protective holder) is 210g.
    Some use that protective holder as their re-hydrating container/dish.
    (I have not tried that as I just received parts of this kit)
    As an alcohol set up I can have at least 8oz of fuel stored inside the caddy as well as the stove and the all system is about 14.4 oz.
    That will boil about 10 L of water for me.
    With gas and a full 100ml cartridge it would be about 17 oz.
    CC gas conv
    CC gas kit
    CC gas kit stored

Franco

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Franco,
    Very nice set up. I've been thinking about doing something like this for melting snow in the winter. Clarify for me, your stove weighs with pot supports removed and modified legs weighs 3.7 oz?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Steven
    It is now between 105 and 110g ( my scales measure in 5g increments)
    It is made by Bu Lin
    http://www.cnbulin.com/en/product.asp?class_id=31
    (BL 100 B5)
    The original weight is just under 160g . I replaced the stand/pot holding frame with a screw, a wing nut and made the three legs from a curtain hook.
    The minimum height is just over 3" because of the bend on that pre-heat tube. That is the height for my 550ml pot, can be higher with a longer screw…
    Franco
    Bu Lin stove

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Franco,

How about replacing the three legs with a simple spike support for the burner? After all, as you point out, it's no longer supporting the pan, so all you need is something to keep the burner upright. Jab the thing into the ground, and fire it up…

My original thought was that you might fashion the gas feed tube into a tripod, but, of course, that couldn't be folded away.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Kevin
    That could be a lighter alternative. The legs as they are give me the exact distance to the pot that I need and could be used on a bench or hard ground. From memory the burner is 95g without the legs , so those legs ,the wing nut and the other two nuts are a combined total of about 10g.
    Franco

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I like this stove. How could I buy one in the USA? Is it sold thru some dealer that would ship it? Thanks,
    Scott

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi
    This is the stove.
    http://www.hidollar.com.au/dispmore.php?mode=0909111302002090
    It is made by Bu Lin, model BL 100 B5
    Also available on Ebay under "OUTDOOR PORTABLE FOLDABLE CAMPING GAS SPLIT STOVE 4000W"
    Franco

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools