Topic

Backpackers as astronauts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Backpackers as astronauts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

Some time ago I went to a lecture given by a guy who teaches wilderness survival. He was sort of contempuous of backpackers, comparing us to astronauts, with our packs being the equivalent to space suits. His point being that we act like we are entering an environment that humans could not live in. He of course believed that this wasn't true.

After thinking about that I have agree a little bit. Obviously we are not choosing to merely survive in the mountains. We bring along a lot of "civilized" comforts. A flashlight is a luxury, for example.

But the truth is no one should be living off the public land anymore, at least in the lower 48. The environment couldn't handle the impact. If we tried to survive on the land in any numbers we would destroy it.

I do a lot packing above tree line. That really is a hostile environment to humans. I worked in the High Sierra for the USFS and got to know the archelogists. No people lived above tree line. The Indian sites were all in the montane zone, and those were summer only camps. Like us, they appear to have only visited the high regions. So maybe our packs are space suits.

Just something that has been rattling around in my mind for awhile.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

So-called 'wilderness survival experts' aside, wilderness visitors should leave no more trace of their sojourn than a ranger patrol in enemy territory.

The only way to leave no trace is to bring all you need and take it all out when you go. Simple.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Not too many things can live in this environment..When I am above treeline I feel like I am not welcome at times.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Jay,
    I know what you mean. It ain't called the High Lonesome for nothin'.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Not too many things can live in this environment..

Marmots!

Cheers

Dave T

@davet

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

All those creatures mentioned are survivalist–Its amazing how they can "Make a Living" up there at that high altitude and extreme weather conditions.. Evolution is a cool thing. You would have to add Bears to that list with all there trekking around and eating moths at high scree fields.

Seems like man should only visit this region from time to time. Moonscape

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Maybe that's not so far off to think of us as astronauts. We are evolved to live in certain conditions. But we also evolved to make tools and clothing and things. So we spread out to live in igloos in the arctic and adobe homes in the desert, among other places. So even the eskimos are "astronauts."

When we carry a pack into the woods, we're just traveling. All kinds of nomadic people carry their things with them.

If we lived in the wilderness, we'd build a house and start hunting and planting things. If we tried that up in the alpine regions, we probably wouldn't survive long. So we are travelers who don't stay very long.

John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

Wasn't John Glenn the one who said that the closest thing to being an astronaut was wilderness camping?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Sometimes, you need your vacuum suit and backpack …
    GeehiDawnS
    Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools