Topic

Australia logistics?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Australia logistics?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I'm planning a big 2011 trip in Australia. Any locals there mind helping me out with gathering a bit of information? Post here or PM me. Nothing big needed, just where to get some supplies, how to mail a couple things, how to get to some more remote towns, etc.

Thanks!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
    Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Ask away;

[email protected] OR PM OR messenger on [email protected]

I can provide info on the Westcoast i.e W.A.

Cheers

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Ha ha. I will reserve my comments as you have a couple of much better sources.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

C'mon do tell, you have me curious now.

Anton S

@maelgwn

Locale: Flinders Ranges, South Australia

Hit me on the PM or here also, especially if you wanna ask about South Australia (or possibly SW Tasmania).

Julian Watson

@juleswatson

Some good folks above to help you. If you are planning on going to Tasmania the folks at http://www.bushwalk-tasmania.com are nice, but, err, not overly receptive of UL walking.

Where are you hoping to go, it's a big land !

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

[email protected] for southeast NSW

If you are planning on traveling to Tasmania you will find this forum helpfull.

http://bushwalk-tasmania.com/forum/

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Thanks everyone! I'm going to the Canning Stock route. Will need to get myself and bike from the USA to Halls Creek. Probably need to post some stuff to Wiluna to help travel back home (clothes, passport, etc). Need to buy some supplies in Oz, stuff like a gas canister or two and anything else I can't fly with. Might be better to rent the sat phone there too.

Any thoughts on ways to get around in Oz the cheapest (buses?), where to fly in and out of and anything else really are appreciated. I'm just starting the plans now and I've talked to Russ who did the 10 deserts trip this year but I'm serious about going.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Sorry Mark!

That probably wasn't fair!

I spent 6 years living in Sydney Inner West. (Just now unloading my flat!) Even found Sydney logistically complex. Exaggerating a bit. Don't like having to go to post office to pick up packages. Or having to go out to the airport to pick up a box and clear customs. Note: for some reason the declaration amount requiring duty is lower for items shipped FedEx vs. the postal service. When I first moved there I was SO impatient, SO excitable. But you adjust to the pace.

I spent a lot of time in the Blue Mountains which are fantastic. You don't really have to venture far to get away from the crowds. Did some winter walking in Tazzie. Loved the bleakness of the Overland Track in July!

But found it much easier to just hop a flight to NZ for a week or two of walking. Or for longer breaks an RTW to Geneva or Madrid for a few weeks of walking, stopping in US to visit family on my way home.

Would love to do the Larapinta etc but was intimidated by the logistics. Thought about taking the train from Sydney to Perth. Stopping in the middle for some walking, then doing that longish trail south of Perth.

Also, gear is pricey! Way pricey.

Logistically speaking, a bit more effort than hopping a plane to Geneva, stocking up and taking a train to the start of a walk with very frequent resupply options. No doubt worth the effort though!

I hope to get back to Oz after school holidays and work in a couple walks. Possibly Larapinta.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

I presume by bike you mean "bicycle". If you dig around on the internet you should be able to find info on people who've ridden the Canning Stock Route on motorbikes or bikes.

Edit: like this:

http://www.wildworks.co.nz/csr/home.php

I expect you're aware of this, but you don't want to be out there in summer ….

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Chris,

I can't find it on google anymore, but if you PM me your email, I'll send you a trip report on a bike trip I did heading the other way out of Halls Creek, up the GIbb River Road.

Regards, Rod

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

My email is [email protected]

Yep I mean bicycle. Only 2 have ever done it unsupported, neither quite like my plan. Will be going sometime between the June-Aug window as that's when I'll have the time off work next year.

I've seen Jakub's report (studied it thoroughly and translated the Polish notes to English) and emailed a bit with Russ. Looks like a great big adventure which is what I'm after to build some more experience for future plans. Bike is on the way as well as some other gear and I'll be testing stuff once my broken ankle heals up.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

I was just reading about this ride. Out of curiosity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning_Stock_Route
    Australia redefines "remote"!

What an amazing plan! :)
    Hope your ankle heals ahead of schedule!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools