Topic

Where to find Reflect-Tex reflective silnylon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Where to find Reflect-Tex reflective silnylon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

Does anybody know where I can find some reflective 30D silnylon? Seattle Fabrics no longer has it listed on their website.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I'll admit – we are who bought the remaining stock up this year from them. From what I have researched it is no longer produced, so you might get lucky with a small shop having some….

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Joshua
    Titanium Goat used that stuff, maybe they can sell you some or can tell you were to buy it.
    This one looks like a heavier version , described as 70D Silver Aluminized Slicker Ripstop
    1.9Blk/SilSlick

http://www.westmarkcorp.com/productdisplay.php?pid=52
    maybe worth asking them too..
    Franco

Eduard Mostert
    BPL Member

@emostert

Locale: Northeast

Joshua,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can try Rockywoods.com They have some black reflective 1.9oz ripstop nylon. Navigation on the site is easy. Just look for "Reflective Fabrics" under "Navigation" on the left side.

Cheers,

Eduard

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

You might try Warmlite in NH. They sell fabric, and were selling silnylon tents with reflective fabric the last time I checked less than a year ago.
    Sam Farrington, Chocorua NH

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

SeattleFabrics.com has 1.9oz (before coating) 70D reflective ripstop. Be warned they take there time shipping even in stock items.

Gary Dennis

@dentwngd

You can get aluminized polypropylene fabric from Innovative Insulation, Inc. under the Temptrol name. This is 95% reflective to infrared heat. Good for summer and winter use.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I was interested in the Temptrol fabric when I ran across it several years ago, but immediately had concerns when I read the claims on the website. The website is brimming over with pretty juvenile misrepresentations, and it gives the impression that the manufacturer's business model includes exploitation of people who lack a science background.

But, I decided that the material itself might prove to be worthwhile, despite the sleazy company, so I looked into it a bit more. A quick google search turns up many unhappy customers. The aluminum coating comes off almost immediately. One of these accounts can be found in a thread on Hammockforums:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2252&page=3

Polypropylene has too little surface energy. Plasma treatment of the substrate and ion sputtering (not vapor deposition) would be required in order to get a good aluminum/polypro bond, and those processes would make the price prohibitive.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

How much do you need we have some kicking around the shop. Send us an email.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools