Topic

My gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Below is my 3 season gear list, tell me what you guys think, if you see any improvements to be made:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqNX7IwImwd6dGR0NjBEY04yZFNmeXRwcE5wQXVKTFE&hl=en

At the end i have added my estimated dehydrated food weight plus estimated backpack weight plus est insulation weight (in the case of winter)
    I live in the Southeast, which is why i mainly use wool over synthetics, incase anyone was wondering.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Its a good start and I dont want this to sound to critical but some of your weights seem like they are off.

BPL spork is .6 oz not that it makes a big difference.
    Also you can do a tough 3 cup bag cookset with everything but the alc bottle in 5oz just as a suggestion.

My driducks are a tad over 10oz for XL.

2L of h20 is roughly 4# or 64 oz.

I do think a 40dF bag might be a little light for 3 season depending on where you are and when. Most people carry a 20dF bag on an AT thru. Of course you can supplement it with clothing but a warmer bag is safer.

Overall I would say try to hit 6# for a big 4, eqiv in hammock gear. At least that is where I am on the ground. It may be heavier with a hammock like 7-8# but that still works.

All the remainder of your gear should be around 6-7# plus
    2# of food per day (5 days) is a good number. 4# for 2L of h20.

28# total.

I did not go totally through your list in detail, but I did not see some things as inportant to me. You may not need them.

Extra set of dry cloths in a dry bag of some sort. (UL like thorofare. I got mine at the salvation army. A pair of nylon running pants and removed the liner and a silk shirt. Cost about $5)

Extra set of johns for sleeping. I carry silk.
    Extra socks (I think those are on your list)
    Wool gloves (I use mine as a pot lifter)
    Wool cap.
    Rain hat.

If you already have your bag, later on a golite ultra 20 quilt would probably be a better hammock choice.

Probably some other odds and ends too.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I dont have the regular driducks, i hvae the one with the hood that zips into the jacket.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

my spork is .3

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

The clothes listed are the extras, i am not counting the clothes i am wearing in my weight, as its not in my pack. I know you guys count everything from sunglasses down, but i just dont consider it weight if its on my body and not in my pack, hyoh. So i got that base covered.

Yea i would supplement with a warmer quilt depending on where i am going. I have a jrb nosniv.

I revised and uploaded my new list.

Revisions:
    Went from 2 extra pair to 1 extra pair socks
    Removed ziploc bowl (not needed i use dehydrated meals and can drink tea/coffee from the pot)
    adjusted error in water weight

I accounted for the extra winter clothes in the 1.5lb extra clothing estimate.

I know my list is not ULTRAlight, but i dont care. I am strong enough to easily carry 20-25lbs total weight with everything full(consumables). I tried it out two weeks ago for a few days, so easy, could easily do any kind of mileage i wanted like this. I only weigh 155 and it seems as i've been working out since i was tiny, so i prefer to have the extra luxiers as i dont feel much pain anyway from the weight. I could never sleep on the ground again after seeing how nice the blackbird hammock is. =)

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Got it you have the non folding spork.

That sounds about right. Add 2# for a pack and 10# for food and you are around 26#.

I am the same as you. I dont count anything not in my pack.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Nice list. I went thru and played advocate for lighter a lighter load.

Question, how long is this trip? (the fuel and food weights are hard to understand)

Icebreaker Undies – 2.4oz
    You carry your undies? Just bring one pair, and wear 'em. You'll be fine.

Hammock + Whoppies + stuff sack – 23.4 oz
    THe HAMMOCK is a full 23.4 oz, (plus a few hammock related extras) and that is a big % of your load. Re-think if you truly NEED this item. (yes, they are fun and cool) you will save weight by nixing this (totally your call, I understand the fun factor.

You list a variety of stuff sacks – try and minimize them.

One COMPACTOR BAG is all you need. Do not take two.

Medical kit is 3.6 oz. You could trim that down a bit by repackaging into smaller vessels and taking less of each item.

Hygiene kit is 5.5 oz. You could trim that down a lot by repackaging into smaller vessels and taking less of each item.

Diagonally Cut Platypus 2 Liter Scooper – you could use a mug, but this is a very light option. Or, better yet – Use the scooper as your eating mug and water scooper!

TP? you can take that weight to ZERO by leaving it behind. And almost 4 ounces is too much anyway.

Minimize your water vessle and treatment weight. You carry too much. Here's what I would recommend:

1x Platypus 2-liter bottle (2.3 oz)
    1x repackaged aqua-mira kit (approx. 1.5 oz)
    – – – that's all – – –

You have a 3 pound pack? Wow, that's enormous by UL standards. I encourage you to get something lighter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools