Topic

AA lithiums vs. CR-V3 lithium

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography AA lithiums vs. CR-V3 lithium

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

the camera takes them both. I understand the CR-V3 lasts longer than the two AAs (2.75 times longer, I’ve seen somewhere) but I’m not really sure if that’s true or why. Does anybody know?
    The Sanyo CR-V3 weights just 7 gr. more than two Energizer AAs. If it really lasts longer it’d look like the best battery

Eric Lavering

@lave

Locale: Western Montana

I bought a rechargeable “Lenmar” brand CR-V3 battery for my camera. I’ve shot about 700 pictures with it so far and only recharged it once. Mine weighs 39 grams, and I don’t know how that compares to Li AA’s for weight, but the long life and rechargeability made the decision for me.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

The Energizer lithium AAs (sold here) are 29 gr for the pair. It turned out around 30 gr in my scale but it has a 5 gr step.
    I also have a rechargeable CR-V3, don’t remember the brand but I don’t trust it, it seems to get depleted when it shouldn’t and without warning.
    I’m interested in the best battery for long distance hiking with limited ressuply options, where I may expect to find alkaline AAs (which I could also use if there’s nothing else) but not lithium AAs or lithium CR-V3s so longest lasting batteries are best, even if they’re a bit heavier. That’s why I’d love someone could confirm or deny CR-V3s will last longer than AAs.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Just looking at the data, two AA lithiums (2x3000mAh) appear to have twice the capacity of a single CRV3 (1×3000 mAh) at about the same weight, making the AAs the better choice. However, data don’t always reflect what happens in a particular device.

http://data.energizer.com/SearchResult.aspx

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

My physics lessons seem long fogotten but can you actually add the capacity of the two AAs?. It seems you need two to get the right voltage because they’re 1.5V each. Do you then get a 3Vx6000 mAh or 3Vx3000 mAh with the 2 AAs? I really don’t know but it’d be strange the two AAs have twice the capacity of a CR-V3, there’d be no contest then.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Inaki, the second option you mentioned, viz. 3000mAh at 3V supply voltage.

Note: The following examples consider all batteries involved to essentially have the same voltage. This not only keeps the examples simple, but, in the real world, this is generally how batteries are utilized, i.e. in most real world multiple battery designs, all batteries begin life with approximately the same voltage.

Same voltage batteries in parallel give greater capacity, e.g. if two 1.5V batts each have 3000mAh capacity, then if they are placed in parallel, you have 6000mAh capacity at a supply voltage of 1.5V.

Batteries in series essentially do the opposite of the parallel arrangement. That is, the voltages are summed (added together), but the capacity is not, so if two 1.5V batts have 3000mAh capacity each, placing them in series gives 3000mAh capacity at a supply voltage of 3.0V.

It’s interesting to note that the datasheet for the CR-V3 Lithium batt that Rick provided reveals that a single CR-V3 battery actually consists of two CR14500 cells in parallel. So, each cell is rated at 3V and each cell individually has 1500mAh capacity. Since the two CR14500 cells are in a parallel configuration/arrangement inside of the CR-V3 battery, their capacities are additive, yielding 3000mAh capacity at a supply voltage of 3V.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

And there you have it. Too darn long since I took that DC electronics class :-)

Capacity-wise it seems like a push, but their discharge characteristics could differ, with a given camera preferring one to the other.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools