Topic

Working at going UL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Locale: Minnesota

I really like the cuben monk tarp based on its weight and size. Currently all I do with my shelter is sleep in it. If the night is clear and no rain is predicted I just sleep under the stars. My current traditional setup has me wanting one thing. Less weight. The cuben monk tarp is a good price at 130 and if for some reason I desire a bigger tarp I am going to try sewing one.

Since money is a bigger factor I don't want to transition into anything. I have no problem spending a bit more for quality gear and avoiding transitioning. In the long run I will save money by spending a bit more for the good stuff. I was looking at the REI minimalist bivy but I really want something that is rated highly. That's why I like the MLD superlight bivy.

I am in no rush to get new gear. I will not be going camping til spring. Also since I'm a disabled veteran I have vast amounts of time to devote towards research. I am not 100% set on anything at the moment so I might end up getting a bigger tarp. My only goal is to be able to hold my pack with one finger.

Rick I would love to see your gear. Maybe you could be my UL mentor?

Troy thank you for the links.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Mike, I will chime in again since you have time for research. If you want bang for your buck and you want a piece of high end gear, beyond the MLD superlight you might want to consider the tigoat Ptarmigan.

ti goat bivy

Both of these are considered best in class around here. Personally I use the MLD superlight. I have 4 MLD items and love each one of them.

As it has been discussed any enclosed bivy will be too hot in warmer temps. When this happens I sleep on top and use the bivy like a ground sheet or I switch to MLD bug bivy.

So now onto your tarp thought…Cuben Monk Tarp weighing in at 4.4 oz. This tarp is only 4' wide so realize you are getting smaller coverage than most tarps. If you are ok with this you are getting one of the lightest tarps on the market made from probably the most advanced material available. This is SUL hiking on the edge. Because of the tarps simplicity it is a deal that is hard to beat…compared to the grace solo which comes in at $255.

Here is the other thing to consider. If you find you don't like any of these items. You can sell them in the gear swap forum for probably 80% of what you paid. Sometime MLD is 100% because there is no wait.

Last thought…if you want to try out tarping on the cheap you might want to consider the Integral Designs 5×8 sil tarp. It costs $75 retail…$60 when it is on sale. It weighs 6.8 oz and it is a full 5' wide. I have used this tarp through several severe storms with great sucess.

ID 5×8 SilTarp

Jamie

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

"My only goal is to be able to hold my pack with one finger."

You mean like this?:))))
    UL in Crimea
    (8 lbs. baseweight in MLD Zip pack)

I'd love to to a show-and-tell and talk about how different gear I've had has fared in the wild. I recently gave a 1 hr. presentation to a MN backpacking club group from meetup.com during our hike in BWCA. It was a lot of fun. Plus, I just hiked the PCT and saw and used a lot of different gear.

Send me a note at delong {dot} rick {at} gmail {dot} com. I work at home and have a lot of free time during the day.

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Just to give myself an idea of tarp sizes I am making one out of paper. Obviously this is a very basic way for me to get an idea and it probably highlights the amount of free time I have. Rick expect a message tomorrow. Your help is what I need which I'm sure is obvious (paper "tarp").

I had to add one thing. What do you guys think of hiking poles. There are times when I think they are helpful. Going down a steep grade with my heavy pack is more reassuring with a third leg. My problem is I have just been using a wood pole which is heavy. I don't like carrying it on the relatively flat sections of trail and usually just leave it in the car. Now that I'm going to start tarp camping I plan on getting some good trekking poles that are light. I like the tigoat poles for their weight and they look pretty well made. Do trekking poles make hiking easier??

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Mike, I use the ti goat poles and like them a lot. The one thing ti goat has that I have not found anywhere else is the camera mounting screw option that you can put into the top on a pole. Since I usually hike solo this option lets me easily capture pictures of myself.

I find poles are the most help going up and down steap trails, great when crossing streams, not needed on flat trails, and most helpful when setting up a tarp.

As Anna pointed out the GG LightTrek 4's are the other option for lightweight adjustable poles. My guess is they are a little more popular than tigoats because of the contoured hand grips.

Jamie

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Does anyone know about OES tarps? I just came across their website.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/index.html

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Went to a local store today and found the tarp I think I will get. It's bigger than planned but a good price and it is a MN company. It is made by Cooke Custom Sewing and is an 8'x10' tundra tarp made with 1.9 oz silnylon. Heavier than most but still way lighter than my current shelter. It is only $80 and will be on sale next week. I might also try to get a new sleeping bag. Western mountaineering Hilite for 210 seems good.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools