Topic

Red River Gorge, KY

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Hi All – some friends and I are planning a December excursion to the Red River Gorge in the Daniel Boone NF. Anyone got a great lead on some solid online info? What I've seen so far is somewhat spotty.

For reference, we're liking the looks of the area because of the huge mix of small trails. Some of us will be very fit BP'ers, while others will not be up for high miles and/or will have kids, so having the "shortcut" trails that cut loops in half and such are ideal. Any tips/suggestions/whatnot related to this approach in this area are appreciated. Every group will have someone with them with suitable nav skills of course, and each group will have everything they need to survive should the groups miss meet up points.

thanks!

chris arvin
    BPL Member

@kychris

Locale: Red River Gorge Area

Have you been to the Red River Gorge before? This area is somewhat weird in my opinion because a lot of the best stuff is not on the official trails. This makes it hard to find the good stuff unless you go with someone who has been to those areas.

I don't know of any good online information. I do highly recommend that you get the Outragis brand map set. It has all of the official trails as well as the unofficial. Also shows the established backcountry campsites.

I'm a local and have backpacked and rock climbed all over the area. Send me your number and I can give you a call if you'd like.

KY Chris

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Thanks for the tip Chris! I'll order that map and start looking through it. Might take you up on the call closer to the date too (getting ready for a cub scout camp now)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools