Topic

Weight Calculator for MYOG quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Weight Calculator for MYOG quilts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Thought i'd share…

I get e-mails regularly asking me to calculate weights for quilts that people are considering buying from me. I normally spend 10-15min each time doing the math and getting it all figured out. Today i had an enLIGHTened moment. I made a excel spreadsheet that i just have to plug my dimensions into and it spits out the weights. It figures raw fabric weight + 2oz (for the little extras i use like zippers and drawcords) I just thought some of you guys would be interested in this, it makes it quick and easy to see how material or size changes can impact weight.

http://enlightenedequipment.webs.com/quiltcalc.htm

-Tim

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

GREAT!! Thanks Tim now I can dream about how light my quilt is while you make it.
    Mike

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Sweet! Love the new site too.

FYI – I used the 3.7 oz Combat quilt you made for me down to 30 this past weekend with some layering. It probably felt quite a bit colder due to decent winds and 100% humidity but my thermometer doesn't account for that.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

shh!! new site isn't really out yet. Pretend you didn't see it.

I am working on it before making its existence widely known. I need to get a few more things made and some trips on them before i am ready to really open up shop. Also the domain will change as i will be getting the .com this time.

Chris can you test the QUILT CALC by inputting your quilts info and seeing how close it is? Either, or both of them.

-Tim

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

It comes up with 24.04 for the 7.5 XP/Momentum quilt and your email said you weighed it at 25.5.

Comes up with 15.77 for the 3.7 Combat/1.1 rip quilt and your email said you weighed that one at 15.5.

I also plugged in numbers for a custom down quilt I have and it's within a .5 oz on that one as well.

I weighed them on my scale just now.

I get 15.4 for the 3.7 quilt and 25.4 for the 7.5 quilt.

I also tested the 2 oz double quilt you made for me a while back. Calculator comes up with 16 oz even and my scale says 16.9 but that one has the full length zipper.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

ok, so not too bad. Gets pretty close.

-Tim

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

yeah, i didn't set it up for rectangular quilts. There will always be some variation due to actual vs advertised weight of materials and actual weights of zippers and cords and such. I am trying to help give people an idea of what it will come in at, which is a lot harder when you don't just make 2 sizes of quilts. Try adding 2" to the finished dims as that should account for the seam allowances. I didn't think of that.

-Tim

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

It's close enough for gov't work. :-)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i just tried the 7.5oz quilt and got 25.23 oz. Maybe we are working off dissimilar dimensions.

Wasn't it 48x35x78? I forget, i could look it up though. Maybe.

-Tim

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

"3.7 oz Combat quilt"

I'd love to see a picture of how small the quilt packs. I'm thinking of going back to the drawing board after one of my recent quilt purchases. When a supposedly 25F down quilt makes me a sniveller at 50F something isn't right.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

74 on the length.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Tom,

I usually just drop my sleeping bag or quilt in the bottom of my pack inside my liner and let it adjust to fill the pack volume. I haven't tried compressing it but I'm sure it'll get pretty small.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

ok, I pack mine exactly the same way. They disappear when the load is large then reappear as the food disappears.

-Tim

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Very cool…looking forward to the "FLYtents".

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

yeah me too, no time. stop looking seriously!!

-Tim

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"yeah me too, no time. stop looking seriously!!"

Well, you might want to edit your original post to remove the URL of the new site if you want to keep curious eyes out! ;-) [Nice site!]

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i don't really care, but it will be some time before i will be comfortable saying it is "ready". I was just trying to give people a tool to help them figure out their quilt weights, you guys are taking advantage of me. I feel violated.

-Tim

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

For anyone who would use quiltcalc for MYOG i have added a 2nd sheet that calculates the amount of materials needed. I did it to simplify my life when receiving orders but it can also help those who are new to MYOG make sure they order enough materials.

Just round up to the next yd or oz of down.

-Tim

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools