Topic

Devil’s Path – Catskills

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Devil’s Path – Catskills

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Greg Kittridge
    BPL Member

@gkitt80

Hi all. I am going to be hiking the Devil's Path in NY this weekend for my birthday (the big quarter century mark!) and had a few questions that I am hoping people familiar with it would be able to answer.

1.) Taxi from trailhead to trailhead: We will only be taking 1 car to the Catskills so we will have to arrange a ride back to where we left the car. We will be hiking the path east to west. First, at what end of the trail do you recommend leaving the car? Secondly, any recommendations of a taxi company to use?

2.) Fire regulations: What are the fire regulations along the DP? I did some research to try to find this info on the web, but was unable to find anything.

3.) Any suggestions/tips/etc?

Thanks so much!
    Greg

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

If I were you, I'd park your car at the finish. Have a taxi meet you there and shuttle you to the start.

You won't have cell signal and it'd wreck your birthday if you got to the finish only to discover that the cab company forgot you or had the pick up location wrong.

Greg Kittridge
    BPL Member

@gkitt80

Thanks David. That does make sense for sure. Problem is, since I have never been to the Devils path, I really am not sure where to tell the Taxi company to pick us up at, assuming we will not have cell service when we finally make it to the western terminus parking area.

All I know is Spruceton Road is where the western terminus is. Any thoughts on directions for the taxi company?

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I don't know exactly where the trailhead is, but you can probably find out either here:

http://www.catskill-3500-club.org/

or here (in the Catskills specific section):

http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/

If you don't have any luck, I can check the guidebook when I get home. Just PM me.

As I understand it, the cab companies up there are flexible and used to dealing with hikers. Maybe the best option is to use Google to find one that you can arrange a pick up time/location with that is in town so you'll have cell service. Meet, maybe at the company's dispatch or office, and drive to the trail head together.

I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out if you call around and talk to a few cab companies.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Here you go:

Western terminus:

http://www.summitpost.org/trailhead/251207/devils-path-western-terminus.html

http://www.summitpost.org/trailhead/251207/devils-path-western-terminus.html

-Take exit 19 of the New York State Thruway (Interstate 87), follow signs for Rt. 28 west.

-once on 28 west, travel 27.6 miles

-turn right onto Ny 42 and follow for 7.3 miles

-turn right onto Spruceton Road and the parking area/trailhead will be on the right in 3.7 miles

Eastern terminus:

http://www.summitpost.org/trailhead/262935/Devils-Path-Eastern-Terminus.html

-Quickest route (seasonal)

From exit 20 on the New York State Thruway (I-87), go west on Rt 212 for 2 miles then turn right onto CR 35 (Blue Mountain Road) and travel for 1.4 Mi. Bear left to continue on CR 35 for .2 Mi.
    Stay straight here and the road becomes CR 33 (Saugerties Rd.) and continue for 4.8 Mi. (becomes CR 16, Platte Clove Rd.)
    Turn left onto Prediger Road and go to the end of the road.

NOTE: Parking is only allowed on the right (northwest) side of the road. Please observe all signs as the first few hundred yards of the trail cross private property. The landowners are very generous to allow foot travel on thier land.
    CR 33 and CR 16 on the way to this trailhead is a skinny cliffside twisting road that is not maintained from Nov. 1st through April 15. If there is any chance of ice or slippery conditions DO NOT TAKE THIS ROAD.

-Year round (maintained route)

From exit 20 on the New York State Thruway (I-87) go north on route 32 fot 5.7 Mi. then bear left onto Rt 32a and travel 1.8 Mi.
    Turn left onto Rt 23a and go 6.9 Mi., traveling through the town of Tannersville. From Tannersville Center go left onto Railroad Ave. (Cr 16) (follow signs for Cr 16 as the road names change) eventually Cr 16 becomes Platte Clove Rd. Total travel on Cr 16 is 5.6 mi. At this point, turn right onto Pediger Road and follow directions above.

By the way, you know that the weather is supposed to be pretty bad this weekend, right? Cold and rainy…could be ice on the trail. It's pretty rocky and steep. The crampons are already coming out in the Adirondacks. Not sure about the Catskills. SSomething like microspikes would be good to bring along.

Greg Kittridge
    BPL Member

@gkitt80

Thanks alot Dave. Yea, I am aware of the weather forecast. Hopefully that will change, but the rain gear is packed just in case!

I will do as you say and give some calls around to cab companies RE: google's results.

Much obliged!

Greg Kittridge
    BPL Member

@gkitt80

FYI for anyone looking to hike the Devils path and in need of a taxi…

Smiley's Transport, located in Tannersville, will be meeting my party in Tannersville, leading our car to the parking area at the Western trailhead, and then dropping us off at the Eastern trailhead.

$55 for the trip + $2 for each additional person.

(518) 589-6533

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools