Topic

DIY insulated hammock. Better than an underquilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY insulated hammock. Better than an underquilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    A D

@wentworth

Hi All,this has also been posted on hammockforums, but would be interested in some imput from the talented DIY'ers on BPL too.

here's a pic of one of my hammock setups. DIY silnylon tarp (5 x 10) with pocket of 900 loft down sewn to the bottom of the hammock.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=669&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=65&cutoffdate=-1

It's a hybrid of designs used by Risk (imrisk.com) and JustJeff (tothewoods).
    Basically a pocket with 1" darts sewn into each side is then attached to the hammock body with a zigzag stitch, allowing for any stretch of the hammock fabric.
    No baffles necessary. The down in mine lofts up to fill the pocket, leaving no cold spots.

Yet this design seems to have been overlooked for the most part. There was initial skepticism that the stitching on the hammock body would cause it to fail, yet this hasn't been an issue after years of use.

I can't help but wonder whether the traditional hammock underquilt, artfully suspended just-right beneath the hammock isn't overengineered.You have the nylon of the hammock, then the nylon of the inner side of the underquilt, then the nylon of the outside of the underquilt. Surely some of this could be reduced with the insulated hammock idea.

With the recent interest in the warbonnet 3/4 Yeti underquilts (I love mine!), it would seem that the logical conclusion is a permanently attached insulating layer.

I have heard the argument that this is not adjustable for different temperatures, but c'mon. How many of us only use one setup? I'm trying to downgrade to only a summer and winter setup, and so have taken interest once more in this idea.

What about a double layer 1.1oz hammock with down pocket sewn to the outer layer, negating the possible weakening of fabric?
    The upside is that with no baffles, commercial manufacturing should be easy!

I've basically just copied the design of others, not too much innovation on my part. But I know there's some creative types on here that could take the concept to the next level! How about it guys?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Your included URL is cutoff. Would love to take a look if you can fix the URL.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Better than multi purpose gear? Not for me. I don't have or want ten hammocks – I have one. I'd rather swap insulation than make or buy another hammock every time I go out in a different temp range.

I'm curious what underquilts you've tried that have such difficult suspension – my JRB quilts are simple to attach and require very little tweaking. The suspension has been attached to the hammock for more than a year now and required little adjustment, only when I'm careless stuffing and bump the prussiks.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I can see having a winter only hammock to reduce weight then a more versatile 3 season hammock.

I am working on an Asym hammock based on risks Z hammock construction. I am probably going to start off with a garlington taco.

I kind of like the peapod idea for winter.

A D

@wentworth

Hi Lori,
    I've owned an original model JRB nest, Speer Snugfit, Warbonnet Yeti, as well as homemade underquilts.

The JRB, a non differential cut quilt needed too much tweaking. When I had a solid 2" under my butt I had no loft under my heel. I used this quilt for 2 years, with numerous tweakings, so I do know about underquilts.

MY next underquilt was the snugfit, a vast improvement due to the cut, but still too heavy for most trips.
    The Yeti is great, but still not ideal.

I'm an ultralighter so I like to have the lightest useable gear. The multi-use aspect of a poncho/quilt doesn't work for me, as I cook over a fire and the risk of burning a beautiful down quilt used as a warmth garment are too scary for me.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i resisted posting on HF so i didnt come off as "pushing" my down UQ's.

i have 3 hammocks that all see regular/seasonal use. for me, the ability to use any one of these hammocks with a seperate te-wa underquilt is priceless. for what it's worth, the inner ripstop shell is less than 3oz.
    Im willing to carry that 3oz to be versatile and usable on any of my 'mocks.

i like your idea, i remember Just Jeff doing one of those years ago, but i still tend to shy away from stitching 1.1 ripstop hammock. even if i only weight 140#!

A D

@wentworth

You don't need to push your quilts (not that you have), I can already feel that I'm going to end up buying one at some point anyway!

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Love my te wa quilt. nice size and nicely crafted coming in at about 14 oz of toasty warmth. Nice work Mike.

-Mark

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Still confused – I have not tweaked my quilt other than tightening or loosening the head end when I get in the hammock. I have the end center drawstring mod on the underquilt and the biner, once set on the rope just at the whipping, sets the foot end where it needs to be.

But, of course, YMMV. Obviously. With the Hennessy I used to have it was an endless ordeal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools