Topic

3days Hoover Wilderness – Ca Dog Friendly!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 3days Hoover Wilderness – Ca Dog Friendly!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I gots ta bring mah gurl and mah dawg…

This will be of continued interest to dog owners feeling "Parked In" in the Sierras:

On a recent trip with BPL'ers Josh and Dylan, from Santa Cruz, I discovered the Hoover Wilderness. Not just a wonderful portal into the Eastern/High Sierras where you can follow in the footsteps of Dharma Bum Jack Kerouac up the Matterhorn Pass, or jump briefly on the PCT with a Benson Lake loop, you can ALSO bring your dog for days in the High Sierra wilderness through lakes and passes and meadows.

Here's my Flickr posting for pics and a mini-report. Besides some of the obvious highlights of being with my g/f and dog, I got to bake successfully, deliciously.

Hoover Wilderness

10/9 thru 10/11/09

barney-loki1barney-lokiandme

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

nice photos Michael. Also you might want to check into trailheads on Hwy 4 which runs into Hwy 395 which would be Toiyabe Wilderness, and Emmigrant Wilderness, and Carson Iceburg which are all dog friendly

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I have day hiked into Yosemite through the Hoover. We had to leave the dog at our base camp. Just a word to the wise.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Looks vaguely familiar.What is that orange material sash thingy? Is that a Buddhist thing?Glad you two had a great time.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Michael,

It looks you three had a great trip. There was some nice fall color setting in on the aspens. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I have been meaning to ask, what is the picture in your avatar?

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

That's right Mark, there's Yosemite boundries all around Hoover, and while it's a crap shoot if a ranger is actually in that trail segment, the repercussions of violation are intense. But Hoover extends quite a way past Peeler Lake to the North. Word to the wise: check with the ranger station about the distinctions.

Thanks for the tip Ken.

And, Josh, that's a Tibetan sash/bag. I picked it up during the Dalai Lama's visit in the LBC, and wanted to see if it's useful in lieu of hip belt pouches or cargo pant pockets. I usually have neither. I like its personality too… Now if only I had some green shoes ::grin::

cheers,
    -Michael

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools