Topic

Dehydrating Apples

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dehydrating Apples

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I can't get dehydrated apples where I live (only fried apple chips are available), so I am going to borrow a friends dehydrator and try making them myself.

I've never done this before, but since we're talking about apples here, it should be pretty straightforward (or is it not?) Any advice? Would any kind of red apple be fit for the job?

Thanks.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

I have a page on how to do this: http://www.onepanwonders.com/apples.htm

Tell us how it goes! :)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

What Dicentra doesn't mention is the type of apple to use. You are better off to choose eating apples as opposed to those you would cook with. Apples like Granny Smith, Tantation, Fuji, Royal Gala and Red Delicious are wonderful dried into slices.

It's best to put the apples slices in a lemon (or lime) water solution or fruit fresh to keep them from going very brown. Let them sit for 5 minutes and then dry them until they are dry through but still pliable. The best way to tell if they are dry through is to take a slice and tear it… if any beads of moisture appear on the tear then you need to dry them a little longer.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

The apple slices on my dehydrator page were crunchy, not chewy. Slice thicker for softer dried apples.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

As for what apples to dry, dry what you actually like to eat! My favorites are Gala, Braeburn and a couple others – we are lucky though here in Washington as sooo many types are grown just on the other side of the passes!

http://www.allaboutapples.com/varieties/index.htm

So many tasty types ;-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

And the best types of apples are urban foraged ones where they grow nearly wild! Where I live there are many, many trees loaded that no one picks. So I have no issue with going up to the owner and asking if I may pick. Never had a 'no' yet! Hehheh!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

A lot of the time those "wild" apples are heirloom varieties too (like the tree on our property). Good stuff!

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Thanks for the replies/advice. How would a go about making a lemon water solution? A tablespoon of lemon juice + 500 mL water?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Chris, that will work fine. You don't need a lot to prevent browning :-)

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

See the photos on the I posted… I didn't use lemon water and they barely browned. *shrugs*

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I just checked your website. Looks delicious and it looks like everything I need to know is there. Thanks. One quick question, though. How long are the dehydrated slices good for if you don't store them in a freezer or refrigerate them (ziplock bag)?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Chris…

The lemon water solution you mentioned is about right. You just need a little lemon.

As for keeping them. If you have dried them thoroughly and properly they will keep for 8 months to 1 year in an airtight container. I tend to package mine in individual serving sizes placed within smaller ziplocks and then put those in a larger container. That way you aren't letting air and moisture in everytime you take some out for a hike. Then again, I dry a ton of apples because we live near some of Ontario's best orchards.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Mine never last long enough to figure it out! The kidling INHALES them! lol. Laurie's timeline sounds about right though.

Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

Locale: Southeastern USA

quarter, core, I never peel.

slice into 3/8" thick wedges on the wide side.

arrange on the drying flats as I slice.

sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon lightly to taste (usually).

dry until crisp like a cracker.

my family loves these, I haven't found I need to pretreat with lemon or ascorbic acid ("fruit fresh"). I've never noticed much difference.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If it's reasonable for you, you could online ordering Brothers All Natural Fuji apple crisps/bananas and strawberry combo packages from Costco. They're individually packaged into servings each about 15gm in weight. They taste good too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools