Topic

Compact ‘High Dynamic Range’ Camera?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Compact ‘High Dynamic Range’ Camera?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Greg,

Many, probably most of the so-called super zoom cameras have EVFs. I don't know them well enough to recommend a small one, but Panasonic, Fuji and Sony all have good reputations for theirs–I'd probably start looking there. I agree with Rog that they're preferable to most digicam OVFs. My first digicam, a Kodak P880, has one and it has twice the resolution of the LCD display and is what I use 95% of the time (saves a lot of power as well). I get the same data on both displays.

Yesterday, Epson unveiled a new generation of very high resolution EVFs, which perhaps signals that many of the next round of digicams will have evfs where there is now just a panel, and perhaps the replacement of the last few ovfs with evfs. That doesn't help your decision one bit, however :-)

Cheers,

Rick

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Greg, Rick listed the other superzooms. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 is 21oz inc batteries. The Canon weighs around 19oz with 4 AA batteries in. Neither are small enough for a shirt pocket. I just live with it round my neck tucked into my shirt and it's weight is supported by the waist strap when hiking.

The lightest option is the Panasonic FZ18
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz18/

Nice, but I like the AA battery option and the hot shoe on the Canon S5IS. Decisions decisions…

I don't make big prints so 5-8mp is plenty of resolution for me. The latest crop of 12mp 18x cameras seem to lose most of the resolution advantage in de-noising and resharpening the images anyway.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Rog,
    Thanks. I'm quite content with 5X +/-.
    And volume is more of an issue than weight (gasp), as it determines where the camera ultimately lives.

g.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I hear you.

FYI
    The panasonic is 117.6 x 75.3 x 88.2 mm (4.6 x 3.0 x 3.5 in)and 12.7oz without battery.

I like big 12x telephoto, so I'm prepared to suffer for my art. :-)

Maybe the FZ8 with 12x zoom would be the one. Good EVF.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools