Topic

is the mld duomid big enough for 2?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) is the mld duomid big enough for 2?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

Hi there,

Will the mld duomid be big and cozy enough for 2 adults (6 and 5.8 feet tall) for a 8 day ul hike in alpine to sub alpine regions in a 3 season scenario?

There is also the new supermid which will be super roomy. But in terms of price, weight and a smaller footprint for small campsites the duomid should be the winner.

We have sleeped under the GG Spinntwinn and it was enough space for us. I'm just looking for a real shelter, which will handle stormy situations in exposed areas better than a tarp.

David Ure

@familyguy

What about the new MLD Speed Mid. Lower profile than the Super Mid, but same size and only 2.5 oz more than than the Duo Mid (omits some features). Great room for two.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I have read one report on BPL where the user felt the Duo was pretty tight for two. OK for a few nights, but maybe not for a long trip. The Speedmid looks great if you don't need quite the same levels of storm worthiness that the Duo offers.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

"Will the mld duomid be big and cozy enough for 2 adults"

Short answer…no. The duomid, although designed for two, is no palace for more then one person. Don't get me wrong, this shelter rocks, but it is not a 2 person shelter that will be big and cozy. As far as I know, I received the first duomid in Cuben off the line and I absolutely love it, but if I were to use it as a 2 person shelter, it would be for light weight, fast pursuits and not for a big and cozy setup.

One issue when sleeping with 2 is that there is no vestibule. This will allow rain/snow to fall on the sleeping zone of one member. Also, when I use it solo, I angle the pole towards the entrance in order to give myself some additional room – which is not possible with 2.

In short, this shelter is great (I love it), but your question was if this will be big and cozy for 2 adults – and it will not perform this function. Go with the bigger mid.

Hope that helps.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Precisely what Steve said.

Also my go to shelter, but not for two.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

It works for 2, but I wouldn't consider it roomy. If you are wanting lots of space for two plus lots of gear go with the larger mids.

I'm 5'8" and the friend I usually hike with is 6'+. We've spent several consecutive nights (but less than 5) in the shelter without issues. One thing to consider is that from my understanding the DuoMid dimensions have increased a few times over the past year or so. Perhaps this may explain the varying opinions regarding its suitability for two? Another thing to consider is that if the shelter is staked tight to the ground on the 4 corners there is much less room than if allowed to be elevated using the guylines. While you indicate 3 season use, if you plan to use it on top of snow pack you can stomp down an area for even more room.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

Thank you all for the helpfull replies.

I think I'll get the new supermid. Just wanted to make sure if the duomid could be a bit comfortable for 2 in bad weather. But giving the fact that you might have to sit out a storm and snow above treeline at an exposed campsite the supermid will be way better for that. I wonder how good this one will handle 3 people…and it seems that I need to get he duomid for solo hikes.

now we just need a solid inner for the mld mids for 4 season use :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools