Oct 12, 2009 at 9:22 am #1240168
I'm new to BPL, but have seen many references to Aquamira. Aquamira isn't widely sold where I live, but Katadyn's Micropur are everywhere. Is there any difference between the two besides brand name?Oct 12, 2009 at 9:55 am #1535542
Nope. [edit: assuming you are asking about respective tablets]
Vitacost.com $8.95 for 30 tablets, plus $5 for shipping.Oct 12, 2009 at 10:50 am #1535566
@verberLocale: San Francisco Bay Area
aqua mira and Katadyn's Micropur tablets are pretty much the same thing: same active ingredients, same instructions for use. Aqua Mira is also available in a liquid form. While a bit more hassle… the instructions seem to suggest that it is faster acting that the tablets.
–MarkOct 12, 2009 at 12:17 pm #1535594
I have only used the filters and have survived, but nearly all the water was boiled because it rehydrated food or made hot drinks. Is it overkill to use a ceramic pump filter AND the Chlorine tablets or UV treatment?Oct 12, 2009 at 12:28 pm #1535595
@turboloverLocale: ventura california
In the research i have done imho. Chlorine dioxide tablets are the way to go. I have used them in streams that have cow pattys in and all around the water though the water was clear and had no problems. A little pool water taste but if you let the treated water air out ie during the night the taste goes away completely. In the sierras i add some vitamin c after 20 min. and it is real nice. thanks. jasonOct 12, 2009 at 12:57 pm #1535606
@herman666Locale: Northern Virginia
"Is it overkill to use a ceramic pump filter AND the Chlorine tablets or UV treatment?"
In a word, No. The ceramic filters won't remove viruses. Most any chlorine, or the steripen will kill the viruses. If you use a miniworks, the carbon section of the filter will remove the chlorine taste if you treat with chlorine, let it kill the viruses, then filter.Oct 12, 2009 at 1:13 pm #1535611
The active ingredient here is Oxygen not chlorine. From the Aquamira website –
"The unique formula [chlorine dioxide] works by releasing nascent oxygen, a highly active form of oxygen, which is a strong oxidant and a powerful germicidal agent."
If you are relying on chlorine for effectiveness this is the wrong product.Oct 12, 2009 at 2:18 pm #1535629
@verberLocale: San Francisco Bay Area
> Is it overkill to use a ceramic pump filter AND the Chlorine tablets or UV treatment
Depends on water quality and what sort of ceramic pump. If you have a purifier filter which removes virus then chemical or UV treatment would be overkill. If the water conditions are reasonably good (clear) UV or chemical is great and adding the filter will be overkill. If you are somewhere with cloudy / nasty tasting water then the combination isn't a bad idea… the filter makes the water more palatable and filters out the big organisms and the chemical/UV kills the virus that most filters can't eliminate which is really important when you are place where things like hepatitis are common in the water supply (typically not an issue in the US).
Answering my own question from a previous thread about liquid -vs- solid Chlorine Dioxide. Treatment is equal at similar concentration levels. The liquid explains what water conditions required what time, the solid lists only the worse case. In other words, not speed difference.
Doh! I wish I didn't order another set of drops. The tablets are more convenient.
–MarkOct 13, 2009 at 5:17 pm #1536023
@hikin_jimLocale: Orange County, CA, USA
I have only used the filters and have survived, but nearly all the water was boiled because it rehydrated food or made hot drinks.
If you're going to boil the water, then there's no real need for filtering unless there's a lot of "floaties" in the water. Boiling is probably the most effective of the "big four" water treatment types (boil, filter, chemically treat, UV light).
Is it overkill to use a ceramic pump filter AND the Chlorine tablets or UV treatment?
Depends on where you go. In the US, typically that would be overkill. Overseas, filtering + chemical treatment or UV would not be overkill at all.
In the US in many wilderness areas, particularly in the west, the water is often safe to drink untreated, but many people treat just to be safe. I've been drinking untreated water since the 60's. No illnesses. Ever.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.