Topic

Finished Ray-Way backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Finished Ray-Way backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Finally finished my Ray-Way backpack yesterday. Pleased with the result and the weight which is only 270g or 9.5 ounces.

The Ray-Way backpack. I love the big mesh pockets

This was my first real sewing project so it took a lot more than the 6-8 hours that some people have reported using. I did some mistakes during the process and everything didn't come out 100% cosmetically, but this backpack is a solid piece of kit. Lots of reinforcements with triple and quadruple stiching.

Ray-Way backpack, this is before I installed the chest strap

I highly recommend getting the dvd if you plan on making one. Without it I would have spent a lot more time wondering how to do some of the procedures. I also got some nice tips on sewing in general.

A completely frameless pack like this is a new experience to me. Well, I already have the Pinnacle which is frameless, but it's got a thin piece of padding in the back which gives it structure. That makes a big difference.

I will have to learn how to pack the ray-way with a rolled pad etc.

I installed a chest strap after the pics were taken. Feels like it needs one.

Anyone here using the Ray-Way?

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Here it is empty

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Congrats on your 1st project, Thomas! Looks well-made.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Good job Thomas,

I have plans to make one, perhaps shortly.

Has the pack been on the trail yet? If so how did it go?

Cheers

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Thanks guys :)

Mark: no, not yet, but I plan to take it on some overnighters this fall / early winter. I'll let you know how it works out. Have fun making yours.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Thomas, The pack looks exceptional…nice work. I've considered buying a kit many times, but everytime I look at the color combinations I get turned off. Yours looks great. I think the black extension collar really adds to the look, but Ray doesn't offer a black collar. What material did you use for that part of the project?

Jamie

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Hi Jamie, thanks :). The black collar is one of the color choices he offers. It's listed as "stealth black" in the "extension collar" dropdown in his order form.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Thomas, Thanks for pointing this out. Ray doesn't show black on the page that shows BP colors. One more question on color. Did you go with Tan or Khaki sides/back?

Thanks, Jamie

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Khaki. I recommend ordering some of the sewing thread he's offering too, or to get some Gutermann "extra strong" thread.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Thomas, I just wanted to let you know that your pack inspired me. I ordered one with the black collar, but in Ray's newest color…gray. I took your advice on the thread and I see what you mean. It is good stuff. I'd stick with this thread for packs. Here are some picks with it loaded up with all my cold weather gear. The pack weighed in at 9.15 oz and is built like a rock.

Jamie

pack 1

pack 2

pack 3

Bill Poett

@wpoettaol-com

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've been using my Ray-Way pack for two seasons, love it, loads well, up to 25lbs with no problem. Making one with my 8 year old daughter now she is about 3/4 of the way done. Something really special about taking gear you've made out on the trail.

Congrats and enjoy!

Bill

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Jamie, congrats! I'm glad to have inspired you to make one. Your finished pack looks great

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

Say,

I really like the look of all your Ray-Way packs. I just finished a G4 pack, but would like to make a Ray-Way pack too.

Does, anyone still have the DVD they would like to loan me, so I can make a pack.

Are there instructions, and a materials list on the DVD?

Z.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

DVD is supplemental to the kit. It doesn't have full instructions or materials lists.

-Tim

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Z, Ray's kit sells for $55. It includes all the materials except the thread needed to make the pack. It also includes extremely detailed instructions and the pattern pieces. I did mine without the DVD but would like to see it, I hear it is pretty good.

If you want generic instructions, you can find those in Ray's book "Trail Life". I did learn a lot about pack construction from the kit it was well worth the money. My plan is to take what I learned and design my own pack.

Jamie

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Both of those packs look very nice.

Now I'm getty itchy again to try sewing something but I keep thinking about the "simple" projects I butchered in middle school home economics class and it scares me away. Well that, and the several times I've done some browsing about sewing machine models and I just end up totally confused….

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

if you want to make a pack similar to ray's without paying for the instructions make the lab pack. directions on thru-hiker.com

-Tim

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Locale: Taiwan

Lab pack looks nice.
    I've bought another type of pack from the designer Rodney. It's well done. I like his designs and workmanship.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Does Rodney have a site?

-Tim

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Does Rodney have a site?

Perhaps here?

edit: Seems like the above site does not display the entire instructions. this one does

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Locale: Taiwan

http://www.freewebs.com/litepacks/index.htm
    It is also instructed long ago.
    I'll ask him if he has a new site.

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

Here are some detailed photos of the Ray-way backpack that someone posted on flickr.com. To enlarge the photos, click on "all sizes" located at the upper-left corner above the photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bltadventure/3080600775/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35343913@N04/3335452845/in/photostream/

Interesting that the bottom of the backpack straps are connected directly to the backpack via webbing. In Trail Life, it states "do not attach the nylon webbing straps directly to the body of the pack." The instructions in Trail Life are for an older version of this backpack.

Keep those free backpack instructions comin' ;-)

Nick

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools