Topic

Lost Creek Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Lost Creek Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm heading for Lost Creek Colorado next Friday for a week of backpacking. Here is my tenitive gear list of what will be in my backpack. Total weight is roughly 81/2 pounds. I might add a rainsuit and a down vest. Don't think I'll have much rain though and I'm hoping I can keep warm enough with the REI coat layered over Kashmir wool sweeter I wear.
    If anybody thinks of something I'm forgetting or has an idea to go lighter let me know.

Pack – 12oz (homemade)

Sleeping/Shelter
    Sleeping Pad – 7oz
    20 degree Sleeping Bag -31 oz (old Northface down)
    Equinox Bivy sack 6.5 oz
    Silk Bag Liner – 4 oz
    Poncho Tarp – 10 oz
    8 Stakes – 4 oz
    8 Cords – 2 oz

Clothes Carried
    REI Synthetic Jacket – 16 oz
    Extra Socks (2) – 4oz
    Balaclava 2 oz
    Gloves 2 oz

Cooking/Kitchen
    MSR Canister Stove – 4 oz
    Stove Canister – 4 oz
    Mug/lid – 4 oz
    Pot Grabber -1oz
    Lighters – 2oz
    Water Bottles – 4
    Aquamira – 2 oz

Misc.
    Headlamp – 2 oz
    Batteries – 2oz
    First Aid Kit – 2 oz
    Needle and Thread 1 oz (in case my new pack has problems)
    Bear Rope -1 oz
    Camera – 4
    T.P. – 3 oz
    Purell – 1oz
    Compass/Map – 5 oz

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Luke, you'll possibly be looking at some 20-degree lows, and there's a decent likelihood of some rain/snow while you're there. I'd want some waterproof stuff to cover me. What about leg insulation–what exactly will you wear while hiking? And are you sure 4 oz. of canister fuel will cover you for a full week? An extra mug of tea from time to time will be a welcome thing if you get some cold, snowy days. And maybe some hand warmers to toss into your bag if it doesn't live up to its 20-F rating. Hope you have a great time. You probably won't see many folks.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks for the ideas. I'm using a poncho tarp as shelter and proabley rain gear. My friend insisted on bringing his (cramped) two man tent. The plan is I'll sleep under my poncho most nights but if its really cold, or just bad weather we'll cram into his tent. I see it as a good chance to test the limits on my poncho tarp without too much risk. The bag should be okay. I've used it at 20 degrees before and it seemed okay The silk liner should add about 9 degrees of warmth too. The stove fuel is a good idea. My friend will be carrying a canister too. Maybe we'll each take a 6oz. instead. I think I can get away without leg insulation because I usually hike in a pair of fairly heavy nylon rock climbing pants. Whenever I've taken long johns they've stayed in the pack hopefully I don't regret this desicion. I was thinking I might throw in a space blanket bivy to us as a VBL if I get moist during the day.
    Thanks for the ideas

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Hey Luke,
    Just a heads up…we just had 2 days of freezing rain/sleet and bitter cold temps and wind even in the day hear at Colorado Springs 6,500'. It was worse up high. This is the second time we have had these conditions in the last 3 weeks. Oct. is the begining of winter around here. Have a good hike, I was in the Lost Creek Wilderness about a month ago.
    Regards,
    John

Jared Blank

@jblank4

Locale: Rockies

Luke,
    If you wouldn't mind when you get back,

I would like to know the conditions at lost creek. I have ventured thru there many of times in the summer, but never this late into fall/winter.

I am currently at the beach, baking in the sun, itching to get on the trail. Probably be the first thing I do when I get back to co.

I hope you had an awesome time, and i wouldn't mind some feedback on conditions, etc.

Take care
    J

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Jared – I'm heading out the door in 40 minutes. My friends in the area report no snow and the weather forecase is pretty good. Actaully its looks like the next week will be surprisingly warm. I'll try and post some pictures when I get back but in the meantime I'd say go for it. If you see two guys hiking together over the next week it might be us. I'll probably be toting a gray golite pack and my (not UL) buddy will have a gregory. Good luck.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Jared – I don't know if you're still thinking about a Lost Creek hike but I just got back. On day five (3 days back) we had a good snowfall as we were leaving. I would guess the higher elevations got about 8-10 inches. There was no significant accumulation of snow before the storm so you might be okay. Just be ready, the weather called for flurries of snow not an all day snowstorm guess thats Colorado for you.
    Luke

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Luke,
    I am glad you had good weather, and had a safe trip. Great hiking in the LCW.
    Regards,
    John

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Luke, I was thinking about you guys out there when the storm came through a few days ago. Glad to hear that things went well for you. Will there be photos or a trip report?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Dondo – I plan on getting a trip report up in a day or two.
    Thanks for all the advise guys. We had a great time. I knew enough about Colorado weather to be prepared for a surprise storm so I did fine. We bailed out a bit early mostly because we were worried about our little rental car getting snowed in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools