Topic

shangri-La 2 4 season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking shangri-La 2 4 season

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

didn't realize this forum existed.

anyone have any experience with this as a 4 season tent?

Patrick Young
    BPL Member

@lightingboy

Locale: Midwest

Just got one for winter myself and am looking forward to testing it this winter.
    I'm interested in input from any users out there also.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

Just got one myself for colder, fall/winter hikes. Although I haven't had the chance to test it in the field, I did set up it up in the front yard during a torrential downpoor with 20+ mph winds, and I was impressed! It shed winds and heavy rain with ease, with only 4 stakes and 2 trekking poles for the ridgeline. The Shangri-La provides a ton a room for both users, which will come in handy when waiting out a snow or rain storm. These shelters have been used by BPL instructors, during the WT courses, with great success! I'll report back when I've got the chance to use mine in the field a few times.

Elizabeth Camp
    BPL Member

@scamp_80

Locale: Portland, Oregon

Aaron,
    I'm in the market for a winter shelter.

I'm just curious, did you consider a DuoMid when you bought the shangri-la 2? If so, why did you go with the shangri-la rather than a DuoMid?

Patrick Young
    BPL Member

@lightingboy

Locale: Midwest

I considered the Duomid myself. My concerns were with the slope of the walls in a single pole design creating less interior space , the single vent and I was looking for a stronger material. The Shangri La series is made with 1.7oz/yd sillite as opposed to 1.1oz silnylon and has a higher hydrostatic head as well.

Entry into the Shangri la 2 seems to leave less of the interior exposed to weather for getting in and out as well.
    If 2 are in the Duomid the person near the door will be exposed.

Jay Cramin

@jcramin

Locale: South

I just got one myself. Found it on Steep and Cheap for $79 and couldn't pass it up. I have not even had a chance to set it up in my yard yet, BUT I cant wait to use it out on the trail.

J

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Can anyone share more experiences with the Shangri-La 2 as a 4 season shelter? I am especially curious about condensation issues and wind strength.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools