Topic

UST Wetfire Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UST Wetfire Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author

@trooper

I saw that UST is making a stove that is designed for use with their Wetfire which is only 0.46 ounces and compact. I'm assuming it is new because there isn't much information about it, other than one member has made a video. Here is the UST product info:

UST Wetfire Stove

So what are your impressions for a solo setup? Would it be just as easy to support a mug on top of some stones? Is this an example of diminishing returns for that thread?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

That's the Esbit stove sold here.

It's made by Tibetan. I own one and it works great with a mug. Yes, stones would work but be sure to put foil underneath to keep residue from the ground (albeit minimal).

Great product.

@trooper

You are correct, Sir. However, the BPL version seems to be a bit lighter.

BPL Titanium Esbit Stove

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

I like it so far, currently testing it; some links for you, any questions feel free to ask.

UST Wetfire tinder

Field use

I have used it with both an MSR Pot (0.8L) and it works fine, quite stable, I would say more so that ontop of a MSR PR and with a Heinekein Pot, also very stable.
    Heinekein

MSR

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I think it's the same stove- I just purchased one http://www.basegear.com/ultimate-survival-wetfire-stove.html and the weight on my scale is 12 grams

the reviews I've seen on this stove have been w/ the wetfire tinder cubes- I purchased esbit ones for mine- the wetfire ones light easy, but are small and don't burn as long

everything I've read on this stove and the bpl one is a windscreen is mandatory- I'm going to build a small one that nests in my SP 600 mug

@trooper

Mark,

Thanks for chiming in. You are the BPL member who I was referring to in my original post. Also, thanks for making the video. Other than your reviews, this product doesn't seem to have received much attention.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Hi A S,

The videos were/are my first attempt, ever, so hopefully they will improve but should give you an idea as to how easily the tinder lights, however as mentioned they don’t burn too long which is not a problem if you have a windshield.

I am happy with the stability, works really well. As you can see from the second video and perhaps the images.

Like most others I don't like the soot that builds up with Esbit type fuel but for the weight advantage it's definitely not a real big issue.

I must get the BPL one to compare, perhaps that’s next on the shopping list.

Cheers
    Mark

@trooper

Mike,

Mark's video doesn't have a windscreen, and the flame clearly ambles like a drunk, reducing its efficiency. I'm thinking I would make a windscreen with some foil, as I always carry a small amount in my survival kit.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

I generally use an aluminium windscreen, this was a test to see how it would work without.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

If the WETFIRE is anything like BPL's similar Ti stove you'll need to replace the flimsy center rivet with a small bolt, lockwasher and nut, as several of us who bought the BPL stove have done.

I got my tiny bolt, washer & nut at Lowe's.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Thanks Eric, I will keep an eye out for that issue.

Cheers,
    Mark

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Very interesting. One of the things I don't like about Esbit is that it's hard to light — particularly in the wind. The wet fire would be much easier to light.

Any idea of how many calories per gram there are in Wetfire vs. Esbit? Something tells me (just a hunch) that Esbit is going to have more heat per gram. It also seems that the Wetfire (just an impression based on the video) burns less efficiently than Esbit. Very yellow flame.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Hi Jim,

No idea on the calories per gram,

The Wetfire lights extremely well, you are correct with the yellow flame.

Perhaps I should light the esbit and Wetfire in in the same video to give an idea?

Cheers
    Mark

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that would be an interesting comparo- I think most of the short comings the early reviews (mostly related to not getting to a full boil) point to are fuel related (and probably to some extent wind screen)

also need to figure in the size of the cube and the price

esbit tabs are ~ $1.00/oz ($5-6 for twelve 0.5 oz cubes, the wetfire tinders are ~ $5/oz ($7 for eight 0.2 oz cubes)

@trooper

I'd love to see the Wetfire/Esbit comparison.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Alrightly then, sounds like a job for tonight :)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Perhaps I should light the esbit and Wetfire in in the same video to give an idea?

I guarantee I'll watch!

esbit tabs are ~ $1.00/oz ($5-6 for twelve 0.5 oz cubes, the wetfire tinders are ~ $5/oz ($7 for eight 0.2 oz cubes)

Yipes! That's rather sobering. Think I'll stick with Esbit even though it's sometimes tough to light. Of course squirting a little alcohol on them helps, but then you lose some of the weight advantage of Esbit.

I hear partially breaking up the Esbit makes it easier to light. Anyone got experience with that? Any other good lighting techniques?

Having had a couple of winter bad experiences (really tough time getting it lit), I've basically abandoned Esbit, but everyone talks so much about it here as being a) workable and b) the most lightweight that maybe I should give it a second look.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I've also heard a little alcohol, but agree another thing to carry

I've read good reports on the burning of hand sanitizer- maybe a dual purpose item?

I'm going to try a birthday candle-stays lit pretty well, extends your reach a little and can be re-used

maybe pack one wetfire tinder and shave off a small chunck w/ each esbit light?

@trooper

If we are adding alcohol, why not add some kindling from the environment? I just ordered the Vargo Triad with the intention of using it with alcohol, but Wetfire or wood in a pinch. Am I the only person who wants to adapt these high-speed fuel stoves back to wood?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> Think I'll stick with Esbit even though it's sometimes tough to light.

I also found esbits slower to start than most other systems though I never was unable to get one going with a match (or two) or using a lighter. That said, think if I had to keep my mini bic lighter going for a second or two more my thumb would have gotten burned. I couldn't get one lit without help using firesteel, UST Sparkie, or a spark-lite which have been enough to light every other system I have used. While not as cool as the wetfire tinders, I found a little bit of dryer lint placed next to and under the edge of the esbits allowed me to get it started using firesteel or the sparkie.

> maybe I should give it a second look.

I have certainly had bad experiences in the past as well. I couldn't understand why people loved the stinky, underpowered system which left oily crud on the bottom of the pot. I am giving them another try largely because a number of people I respect like GVP love them so. This time around I tried several things in the backyard until I was sure I could actually make them work there. Now I have used them a couple of times in the field. I am not sure if I am going to make the switch long term, but I will give it a couple of seasons and then decide.

I found that the caldera cone system addressed performance issues. . I have gotten over the lighting issue cause I figure that most other systems I have used required some help: priming (white gas, some alcohol), keeping fuel warm in cold conditions (alcohol & upright canister). A few extra seconds with the bic or some lint doesn't seem some bad. I noted similar trade offs with the cleaning the pot.

–Mark

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> Am I the only person who wants to adapt these high-speed fuel stoves back to wood?

Nope. That's why you will find a number of people using the Ti-Tri Caldera or similar systems. The system has to be Ti or Steel your you will likely melt the stove/windscreen.

So far I haven't embraced doing a wood stove because I have been spoiled because my canister and alchohol stoves reove the need to clean the outside of the pots and I am regularly above tree level where I don't think it would be ecologically responsible to collect kindling. Maybe as I get used to clean the esbits residue I will go a step further and use a wood stove at lower elevations.

–Mark

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I've got some Ti on the way for my windscreen- I plan on building a mini "caldera:- it won't be cone shaped, but will hug my SP 600 closely- I want it to nest in the pot- so that will be the height

my thought was that I would drill a couple of holes towards the top to slide in two stakes to support the pot a little higher for wood (it will simply sit on the stove itself for esbit) _I'm going to cut a small circle to put beneath the stove both for wood and w/ the hopes it might reflect a little heat back to the pot from the esbit stove

I like the idea that wood could possibly be used as well- if for nothing else than backup to the esbit

a small piece of drier lint sounds like an easy (and light) way to get the esbit going

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

if Mark doesn't get a chance to do it, I'll probably give it a go

would it be "fairer" to make the Esbit tab 0.2oz to match the size of the wetfire cube or keep them as is?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well I got around to doing a comparo today

temp 50 F
    swirling wind (but out of the main wind)
    elevation 2400'

I cut a Esbit in half to more closely match the wetfire in size- Esbit now .25 oz, wetfire .2

I built a Ti windscreen for the stove (I can't imagine using this little stove w/o one)

looks like this:

Photobucket

the pot is a SnowPeak 600 w/ a custom Jason Klauss aluminum lid :)

I used 1.5 cups of cold tap water for the test (1.5 cups was chosen at that's my typical boil for a single serve freeze-dried supper)

first up was the Esbit (1/2 cube)- it wasn't too difficult to light (I wouldn't say easy though), used a small birthday candle

at 7.5 minutes it was getting close to boil, but never made it- the esbit fizzled out completely at 8 min

Photobucket

next up the wetfire cube- it lit very (very easy), it also smoked a lot and wasn't overly nice smelling

it fizzled out completely at 6.5 minutes and wasn't as close to boiling as the 1/2 esbit

Photobucket

also look at the soot from the wetfire (the esbit had very little soot)

Photobucket

so next up was a full esbit tab

finally success at 7:00 minutes w/ a full rolling boil, there was ~ 1/4 of esbit left (hard to tell exactly)

Photobucket

I set my windscreen so I could also use it as a wood stove w/ the addition of two Ti stakes like so:

Photobucket

I figured Id give the wood a go- I lit the remaining esbit and then added some small kindling

amazingly (to me anyways) I got a full rolling boil at 6 minutes

Photobucket

the whole kit laid out

Photobucket

all packs into the SP mug

Photobucket

weighs a nice svelt 5.7 oz (w/o fuel)

Photobucket

conclusions- for me it's going to be a full esbit for boiling, I will carry a wetfire w/ my kit cube for very wet conditions or emergency fire starting- but the cost and performance is sub par to the Esbit IMO

the wood stove actually works pretty well, so I may use it from time to time (or in a pinch if fuel is gone)

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

The esbit stove with a caldera cone works great. To light the esbit, I hang a corner off the edgd of the stove so that a match or flame can be placed directly below it until it catches fire. When lit < i push the cube back into place with the match stick.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools