Topic

New Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

Lately I've been looking into getting a new pack for Philmont. And I have gone to bed very confused for the past week thinking about it. I can't choose whether I should get a strictly UL pack (even though the rest of my gear isnt UL), or to get a "heavy weight" pack. Nothing seems to fit the bill.

I need something that can hold about a weeks worth of stuff (around 4,000 cu in), is somewhat durable, and something relatively cheap.

I know I am asking alot, some factors can be knocked off. Any recommendations? Thanks

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Warren, a good 'tweener pack for you might be the ULA Catalyst… has the frame and capacity for heavy loads, but is a relatively light packs…

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

I have been looking at the Catalyst, but some Granite Gear has been catching my eye too, I believe it was the Nimbus Meridian. But $200+ is just out of reach at the moment

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

http://www.rei.com/product/778468

only 3 pounds, but has a frame so can carry non-lightweight stuff. once you are lightweight, you can remove the framesheet and have a 2lb pack.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

FWIW, I'd save up your bucks until you can get a pack you really want… make sure you try them on!

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I have a Nimbus Meridian for sale. I bought it in early 2008 and it is in great condition. The top pocket has never been outside and the rest of the pack has zero damage. I only used it around 5-10 nights worth.

It retails for $250ish, but I can let you have it for like $140 shipped. Let me know if you're interested! It is a Size medium with a medium hip belt.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

That is a really tempting, but the hip-belt is the only problem, my waist is just too big for the medium.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

This would be a good time to start whittling down your other gear. Lots of time to find a bargain in the gear swap. And I think Granite Gear will swap belts for free, but maybe that is if they are new. You can swap belts for a pretty low price on the ULA packs too. Looks like a Circuit in the gear swap; I think the Catalyst would be too big for a hike where you're re-supplying every 3-4 days.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

Hi Warren,

Found this on the gear swap forum; seller is Aaron Lastname
    "Nimbus Ozone Short Torso, bought new spring 2009, Burnt Brick / Black color. Medium Harness with Women's Medium hip belt. Both the belt and harness can be
    swapped for a size / style of your choice for a small fee with Granite Gear. Used on one day hike, nearly mint. $115"

The short torso fits is adjustable and fits 14" – 18"; shoulder straps, harness, and hip belts are exchangeable at Granite Gear…

Cheers,
    Christopher

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

The Catalyst might be too big for a trip that you resupply every 3 days, but I do plan on going on week long trips without resupply. But I also dont want to be carrying more than I absolutely have to at Philmont

And with the measurments I took, my torso is between 21"-22"

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

My comment is along the lines of the previous post. Why would you need a pack for 7 days at Philmont? The resupply is every 3-4 days. I have always felt it best to pack for Philmont like you are going on a 4 day hike. You can wash clothes and even get fuel along the way. No need to overdo it with extra stuff.

On our trek there were a few Go Lite's, Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus, and a Granite Gear Vapor Trail.

If you keep your base weight down you can keep the volume down quite easily even though Philmont food is quite bulky.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

It's been my experience in 40 years of Boy Scouts that if you have room in your pack, someone will put something in it. So if you have a Catalyst, you will be loaded. I think it's too big for a week for me, but a Circuit is perfect. Scott did Philmont with something tiny I thought, like a school bookbag, didn't you? Anyhow, do a search, and he has written several articles about Philmont, getting smaller and lighter (packwise) each time.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

" Why would you need a pack for 7 days at Philmont?"

No, not at Philmont. In general, I plan on doing week long trips on the AT, Big South Fork, etc. Sorry for the confusion.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Part of the thing we need to keep in mind is that not all Scouts have or can afford to get new gear, either. While some scouts have the smallest, lightest stuff out there, others are working with bulkier synthetics and so forth… difference between a 20*F synthetic bag and a 30*F down bag can easily be 10 to 15 liters of volume difference. Since the OP asked about packs in the 4000 ci range, that's kinda how I geared my thoughts. But the reality is that if you're going light, 45 liters (2700 cu in) should be more than enough for most trips… it was more than enough for a recent 2-weeker without resupply. But that's going with small really small gear, too.

Some Scout troops I work with are quite adamant about pack volume requirements, too, so I'd double-check to see if that's a concern.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Well thats another thing, I'm not to sure what cu in I should have my dad has always bought my packs, and he always gets me the biggest, heavy(est) stuff. And quite frankly I am sick of it. So I really have no idea what kind of cu in I actually need

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Warren,
    I have hiked at Philmont with a ULA P-2, a precurser to the Catalyst, and with a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. Both packs did a fine job. As long as your likely pack weight is not over 35 lbs, I would recommend the Mariposa Plus. It is my go-to pack for most trips as it is so comfortable to carry, as long as you stay under 35 lbs.

But as mentioned previously, the ULA Circuit (3,800 ci)and Catalyst (4,600 c.i) are also excellent packs. I personally think the Catalyst is too large a pack for your purposes and the Circuit is ideal.

There are a number of other possibilities that have been reviewed on this site. My main recommendation would be to stay with a pack that is no more than two lbs.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

"I'm not to sure what cu in I should have"
    go to Target and get a 20 liter plastic bin for a few bucks, see how many times you have to fill it to get all your gear and food in.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Now my problem is I am doubting myself that I can get my full pack weight under 40 lbs. On the last weekend trip I went on, my pack was just over 40 lbs with 3 days of food.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Warren. Do you want to get your pack weight under 40lbs? If yes, I would recommend posting a gear list.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

I actually started making one, its incomplete at the moment, but so far my base weight, except clothes and my pad, is right around 17 lbs.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

I know this is most likely a dumb question, but how do you get an excel doc. in your post?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Look Here.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Appearently, I can't export. So here's my list

Jan sport Carson Pack 4 lbs 12oz
    Marmot Trestles 15 deg 3 lbs 14 oz
    Alps Extreme 2 6 lbs 8 oz
    Sleeping pad
    Total 15 lbs 2 oz

Lip Balm 3/8 oz
    Compass 1 3/4 oz
    Whistle 1/2 oz
    Pen & Paper 1/4 oz
    Bandana 1 oz
    Mug 2 oz
    Rain Hat 2 3/4 oz
    Spoon 1 oz
    Meds/First Aid 2 3/8 oz
    Camera 7 oz
    Warm Hat 2 oz
    Toilet Paper 1 1/4 oz
    Matches 3/8 oz
    Magnesium Stick 1 1/2 oz
    Striking Knife 5/8 oz
    Trash "type" bag 1/4 oz
    Headlamp 3 oz
    Section Total 31 1/8 oz

Hiking Shirt ?
    Clothing ?
    Hiking Pant ?
    Underwear ?
    Smart Wool Liner Socks ?
    Smart Wool Outer Socks ?

Pack Total, SO FAR, 17 lbs 2 1/8 oz

Not bad for NO light gear what so ever

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools