Topic

December hiking in yosemite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips December hiking in yosemite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

Im looking for a hike to do in December/early January in yosemite or somewhere in the central sierras.
    I'm inspired by this Backpacker magazine trip http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=368705

However, I dont really know the area that well so I dont know what would be good.

Some snow would be fine but for the most part I dont want to deal with anything that snow would make too technical or dangerous.

Any suggestions?

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Even if the weather holds and snow doesn't fall and stay, the chances of getting snow increase with each passing week, and in December you will have a real good chance of either showing up to a lot of snow already on the ground, or getting it while you're out there. I wouldn't even risk it unless you are comfortable navigating without obvious trail markers. That's not one of the trails flagged for winter use.

Late spring is a better time – the creeks will have water in them, the snow will be melting instead of accumulating, and there's less likelihood of icy granite.

A better winter destination would be Badger Pass – you can snowshoe or ski to Ostrander Ski Hut, or to Glacier Point, with or without a guide.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Great advice from Lori above. Glacier Point Road out of Badger Pass in the winter has a number of great trails for skis or snowshoes from day trips to multi-day. I snowshoed to Lake Ostrander last year, which was a solid 3-day (2-night) trip for my sister and I. Navigating in the area is relatively easy thanks to the flags in the trees along the trails.

k

I would personally be concerned about going out in December or January and assuming I could hike out. A winter storm in Sierras could strand a hiker. For a multi-day trip, I feel much more comfortable with a couple of feet of snow on the ground and heading out with snowshoes or skis in the winter months.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

there are a few areas that are lower than the snowline in and around Yosemite. Some spots around Mariposa along the North Folks of The Merced or even Hetch Hetchy which is around 5000 feet around Rancheria Falls. Other than that, your options are limited. I would try coastal areas like Point Reyes, Ventana Wilderness

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools