Topic

In memory of Donald I. Downs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports In memory of Donald I. Downs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

This plaque is on the JMT just south of Forester Pass. If you are heading south you would walk right by it. We WERE heading south but somehow we noticed it. I really makes you realize how much work and sacrifice has gone into providing the trails we hike!

In Memory of Donald I. Downs

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Lawrence, I've done this pass twice now and have not noticed the sign. Can you be more specific where it appears? Thanks!

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

So young as well,.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Roleigh,

I would not have seen it except my buddy happened to stop there to wait for me and he noticed it. If you were heading north you almost could not miss it even though it is a little off the trail. When heading south the trail actually makes a right turn there away from the plaque I think is is less than a mile from the summit of Forester Pass. Here is a jpeg of the topo for the area. It has to be at one of the right turns as you head south.

Location of Donald I. Downs plaque

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

I did the JMT this summer again with two other guys and we specifically looked for Donald I. Down's memorial. It is located at gps coordinates N 36 41.504 and W 118 22.343. Another highlite of the trip was that we got to spend a night at Muir Trail Ranch. We took real hot showers and we laundered every piece of clothing we had. We also shipped ourselves a 12 pack of Newcastle Brown Ale in our resupplies which we enjoyed in their deluxe hot springs after an incredible dinner at the ranch! We actually gave three of these away (we're not complete lushes!)

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I'm a little late joining this post. . . I was just there a few weeks ago and I remember thinking the trail just south of Forester was amazing, blasted right into the side of an incredibly steep cliff. After the third or fourth switchback for some reason I looked left and saw that plaque just before the trail turned right down the next section. I can see how that cliff would be unforgiving. I didn't take a picture of the plaque, but here's one just before and one after that section:

forester

forester 2

David Carbiener
    BPL Member

@hikingdave

Locale: Northern California

I've hiked the JMT two times and spotted Donald I. Downs memorial both times. Here is another perspective looking at the memorial with the Forester "shute" in the back ground. My guess is that it is located around 1/4 – 1/2 mile from the pass heading south.

Donald I. Downs memorial

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

For those that don't know the history. I may not have it quite right, but it seems that him and a few other trail workers were injured when a landslide was caused by the blasting they were doing to clear a path for the trail.

Because of the remoteness and the fact that most of the men were injured, it took them days to get the injured to a doctor. All survived but Donald who after several days succumbed to the multiple injuries, including having to have his arm amputated to stop the spread of infection.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools