Topic

$100 bivy for a big guy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) $100 bivy for a big guy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

Im sure this question has been asked before. There are a number of simple and light bivys available right now but Ive read that many are described as haveing a snug fit. I am would be happy with a simple drawstring sack if I could find one that would fit my xxl shoulders and parka and or winter bag with out a squeeze. I have a nice Moonstone bivy for planned excursions into harms way. What im looking for is a ultra light sack that i can justify always having in a daypack along with a poncho. Thanks, woody

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

you might want to follow the neoair/tigoat bivy thread- rumored he might be making a larger bivy to accommodate the neo air- that might do the trick for your larger size needs

equinox makes a very reasonably priced bivy- don't have a clue on sizing though- I think they post some measurements on their site

Adam Frizzell
    BPL Member

@adamf

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I've got the Raven xl bivy on order from TiGoat. At $110 (before upgrades), it's definitely got bang for the buck.
    It sounds like you're going need to focus on girth dimensions. How tall are you? I believe the Raven is focused on adding length for the taller folk. I talked to Doug at TiGoat and he did say the Ptarmigan and Raven have the same shoulder and foot girth dimensions, so you might want to check out their site and give him a call with your measurements and see what he says.
    As far as weight, Doug said the Raven is a bit over 7 ounces with the optional full net hood (I have not confirmed this on my scale as yet though).

james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

I'm about 5-11 and about 57"around at the shoulders. Sleeping bags listed as 62" feel to tight. The equinox bivy Is listed at 66". Im thinking that wont leave enough for a sleeping bags loft.

james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

Oware lists bivys with a 75" girth

Ti goat is 76"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools