Topic

is this bag a good candidate for a quilt conversion?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) is this bag a good candidate for a quilt conversion?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I see that Tim M offers a bag -> quilt conversion service and got me thinking a little :)

I have a circa late 80's NF down bag- rated at 35 degrees iirc- one of the lighter bags at the time- right at 2 lbs (maybe a oz or two more)- I'm thinking probably 650 fill (pure guess)- it's a continuous baffle design.

my main objective in considering this option is to get a quilt/bag that would work well w/ a small pack (Ion)- so it will need to be pretty small when compressed- in it's current state it certainly wouldn't do the trick- I have a Marmot Hydrogen that is a bit closer, but looking for something smaller yet.

this would be a summer only bag/quilt used in conjunction w/ a breathable bivy – something rated at around 40 would do the trick

if this were a newer (better) bag I'd just try and sell it and buy a new quilt, but thought this might be a way around spending a bunch of doe ray me on a new lightweight quilt

I can send Tim an email as well, but thought he might pop in anyways and maybe someone else was considering something similar

thanks in advance

Mike

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Send in the Hydrogen, if it is long enough Probably one of the best bags to be converted, with it's continuous baffles, matching color sides, and ultralight pertex shell.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I'd rather put my circa late 80's bag under the knife :)

does the donor bag need to be a little longer than normal to convert to a quilt?

both bags fit about just right currently- not too long, not too short

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

removing the hood and zipper/draft tube will reduce some oz but it won't take too much bulk out. 650down is pretty bulky compared to the 800+ stuff.

-Tim

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Tim- thanks for replying to the thread

I'm thinking this still might be a viable option as dropping some weight and some volume (albeit maybe not a lot) combined w/ more willingness on my part to compress an older bag a little more than I might not normally- might (lots of mights :) ) got me to where I want to be.

Obviously w/ a small pack, trip length isn't going to be long- 2-3 days and probably not a lot of trips in the year- most of my trips will be done w/ my wife where I'll be toting a bigger pack (and bag)- so I don't think much undo harm will come of the bag.

If I'm missing the mark (or anything else for that matter)- please feel free to correct me :)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i compress the utter hell out of down gear. If you aren;t going to compress down it is a waste of money i say, just go synthetic. I really stuff down hard.

-Tim

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that's very good to hear :)

I think I had better first give the old bag a good washing (found some great tips on the site) and see how it responds- it's definitely loss some loft, but has never been washed either- so hoping it "bounces back" a little.

Tim- if the bag currently fits just about right- do I have any worries on length once it's a quilt? w/ just the hood alone coming off it seems like I should be good to go, but may be missing something as I've never used a quilt

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

it will get shorter as i need to make a new top edge to cleanly remove the hood and tie it all together.

-Tim

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Tim- ballpark on how much shorter?

thanks

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

should only be an inch or so. On the Apache conversion i was able to keep the liner length fully intact.

-Tim

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

danke

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I should update this thread- some time ago I found a real steal on a used marmot Atom long, I had Tim do a conversion on it and it came out beautifully! the original weight was 25 oz, it's now a svelte 18 oz :)

I'm sure it packs a little smaller, but not noticeably so

thanks Tim

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools