Topic

How tough do you think your pack is?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How tough do you think your pack is?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

http://www.backpacker.com/backpacks-torture-test/videos/99

Go figure: the Granite Gear proved most durable in the full 210d fabric (Flash). Even compared to dedicated mountain packs. Even compared to an overpriced gimmick (the Arcteryx).

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

My pack is so tough it wears itself out from the inside.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

A friend of mine and I lost our footing last autumn as we were descending a steep scree field and slid down on our butts (and packs) about 50-60 feet. We both got pretty skinned up…his pack had holes in the bottom, mine didn't.

I was using my McHale dyneema pack at the time.

David Ure

@familyguy

Charlie, is that full Dyneema or Dyneema Grid? What thickness is it? i.e. 210d, etc. Thanks!

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

I have a Chasm full Dyneema pack. I have no idea what the thickness is. Most all of Dan's packs come with a pretty robust bottom that is made with Dyneema.

I think he even said that you could press the fabric against a belt sander and your thumb would get too hot before the fabric wore a hole in it.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

@Joe; Chuck Norris-style quip, eh?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

This video gives viewers an unrealistic view of the necessity of a bombproof pack. Two thumbs down.

David Ure

@familyguy

"This video gives viewers an unrealistic view of the necessity of a bombproof pack. Two thumbs down."

How so? All are climbing packs.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Are the packs weighted?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'd like to complement BPer on their use of the superlative in all respects butterfly knot, for their admittedly silly test.

The real question is what they had in the packs? Hard items near the surface of a pack abrade against rock very easily.

I'd put my 20 oz, double bottomed, 100% Ballistics pack against that test anyday.

David Ure

@familyguy

Awesome Dave. Look forward to the Video.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Matt,
    HAHA!! Those Chuck Norris sayings are great. I wish I could count to infinity–twice…..

Dave T

@davet

David Ure

@familyguy

No-just 4. The Granite Gear was fine….;)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Sometimes a tough pack is a good thing. My GG G4 had one little tear in the mesh pocket. I, on the other hand, looked like this:

me with bloodied arms

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

My wife's Jam2 (on my back) survived an avalanche. It fared better than me.

David Ure

@familyguy

OUCH Diane!

Glad to see you survived!

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Even if it wasn't quite scientific it was entertaining. It reminds me of http://willitblend.com

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

My Jam 2 has multiple holes. And my ULA Catalyst is in need of retirement.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Chris, does that mean you didn't survive? ;^)

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Just think about the fact that people who haven't been reading the thread only see the title of the post on the recent posts listing – OK?

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

No I survived, just had to hobble out for 7 hours with a broken ankle. The pack got to get carried out and I don't think it's broken!

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

My pack can beat up your pack…

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

"This video gives viewers an unrealistic view of the necessity of a bombproof pack. Two thumbs down."

I agree with Matt's comments.

Especially at the end when he says that the pack he would choose to take into the backcountry is the one that fared best after being dragged behind a truck. That is NOT logical criteria for selecting a pack. It sends the wrong message that durability is the #1 reason to choose one pack over another and ignores other, more important considerations like fit, organization, size, weight, etc.

While I commend Backpacker for making good videos that are definitely entertaining to watch, I think they have to be careful about the message they send to people who see them as an authority figure. They have the power to perpetuate the old myths about the necessity of "bombproof" gear, or they can choose to enlighten (no pun intended) their audience about the virtues of UL. Unfortunately, it appears that they have chosen the former. Maybe they'll catch up one day.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools