Topic

DSLR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography DSLR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Anyone have tips for packing a DSLR camera (Canon EOS) in such a way that it's easy to get to, but not in the way?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

David,
    Not eggsactly what you are asking about, but worth considering –

"“How do I take good photographs?” A friend asked me this on a climb not long ago. I asked him where his camera was, and he replied that it was in his pack. I asked him where mine was, and he pointed to where it was hanging off my shoulder strap. Lifting the camera to my face, I took a shot of him quizzically pointing at me, with the mountains arrayed in the background."

From I,CJW .(Thanks Miguel)

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I pack it ( Olympus 420 but there is room for bigger ) in an OMM 4 or 5L, 130g frontpack, otherwise its not at hand and i take way less photos.

Darin Butler

@darinbu

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I carry a Canon 20D with a 17-40L lens in a Lowepro Topload Zoom AW case. There is also room in the case to add a 70-200 F4 lens with a little effort. This makes for a heavy setup! I carry the case by removing its shoulder strap and then using two carabiners to attach the case to my two backpack shoulder straps in front. The case then rests against my chest, making it very easy to access the camera. I like using the carabiners because i can quickly open one of them to allow me to remove the entire backpack.

I do find that I don't often use the 70-200mm lens while backpacking, so my current case is often overkill. I need to get a lighter case which just holds the camera with the 17-40L, and attach it to my pack the same way I do now. I'm considering the Lowepro Rezo 140AW for this. I really like the AW (all weather) versions because they have a built-in rain cover which works nicely.

Without the shoulder strap, my Topload Zoom weighs 21.5 oz. I estimate that the Rezo without strap weighs 13 oz. That's a savings of 8.5 oz for $40, which is pretty darn good. What am I waiting for?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

If I have to pack the camera, I won't even bother bringing it because I know I'll never get it out. I tried hanging it from the sternum strap on my pack, but it feels too high.

Either of the methods posted are good, I'll test both and see what works best for me.

Thanks for the input, I look forward to more ideas coming in.

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

My wife recently purchased a HoldSLR (http://www.holdslr.com/) for her Nikon D300. While she liked the concept and the way it carried the camera, she found that it was not comfortable for her body, it was pressing to hard against her chest when wearing a sternum strap. It probably works better for a male build, but I could be wrong on that.

If anyone is interested in trying it out, let me know, we are thinking of selling it.

Paul Erickson
    BPL Member

@ericksonpk

Locale: Wasatch Front

Damien,

I am interested in giving it a try for a reasonable price.

Paul

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Back when I use to carry a film EOS Canon SLR, I use to just hang it off my neck crossed over 1 shoulder and this never bothered me.

Even today, I still see guys who carry SLRs on long backpacking trips. They usually have a camera bag on their hipbelt, or a fannypack sytle bag mounted above their hipbelt. If you could juryrig a case to hang off your shoulder or sternum strap, this should also work (this is also how I carry my camcorder).

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Toploading case and a couple caribiners is all you need.

The ULA packs have d rings on the shoulder straps but they sit a little high.

Topload case

Most packs have webbing running over the shoulder straps that you can clip a carabiner through. If your belly isn't too big you can carry it lower on the straps like this.

Osprey pack

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I made up a camera case which hangs around my neck and has a retaining strap which goes around behind me.
    The original motive was so I could carry my camera (and its batteries) inside my parka in bad weather, and keep it warm.

Cheers
    Camera Pouch

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I carry my camera just like Ryan. I like it lower like his second picture. The camera is easier to get to that way plus it makes a dandy platform for note-taking (if you are so inclined). I've got a really old Tamrac holster that my parents had for their old film SLR. I can fit my D40 with 55-200 VR attached in the main compartment along with an extra memory card and wireless remote. In the front pocket I can squeeze an old 50/1.8E and 24/2.8 AIS with a lens cloth in between them for a little padding. I like this set up so much that it is a little disheartening to see so many new packs not including nylon webbing the whole length of the shoulder straps.

I also keep an Ultrapod 2 in an outside pocket of my pack. Obviously this all doesn't get carted along on every trip, but recently most of my trips have had some photo time scheduled in.

Adam

PS- Anyone have any old Nikon film gear their want to off load? Its not worth anything so you might as well send it to me so I can properly dispose of it :P.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Ryan – I've carried my DSLR just a little lower than your top photo there, it's not that bad at all.

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

Another option I found posted on another forum – http://www.backcountrysolutions.com/id13.html
    Can't imagine your camera would stay dust free.

Marek Janda

@nyxatko

I carry my camera (GA645Wi) in a pouch (Lowepro SlipLock Pouch 60 AW) attached to hipbelt. Probably only practical if you're using trekking poles.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools