Topic

24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana’s Gallatin Mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana’s Gallatin Mountains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Interesting…..no down clothing or bag……."

I was wondering about this too since I am a big down fan. It could be that Ryan Jordan is completely sold on synthetics, but my guess is that RJ is using synthetics because he wants to be prepared for any trip so he can leave instantly regardless of the weather. Synthetics would work better for a really rainy or damp trip, so perhaps that's why he's choosen it….to keep his kit as versatile as possible.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Loved the video…

Jonas,
    Best part of the video – when Ryan is cooking with his eager dog beside him and says "Do you really think your getting some of my food?"

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Great little video. Beautiful country that way. Volume on the music was a bit loud compared to spoken word, jumped every time it started. It is very quiet where I live, so I may be a bit critical

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Nice camera work and editing Ryan, and this is from a guy who has a B.A. in Motion Picture/Television from U.C.L.A.! In my younger days working my way through college, I worked for the National Park Service in the Grand Teton/Yellowstone area, so I know how beautiful it can be up there in your neck of the woods. You are a lucky fellow.

Your pack looked interesting, and in fact I am considering buying an Osprey Exos 58(or smaller version) at this time, but I might wait until you start selling your new pack.

Slainte (that's Irish for Cheers!)

Lapsley Hope

@laps

Very well done and especially like the simplicity of "24 hours" there and back. Doesn't hurt you live within such a short distance of the Gallatins, and enjoyed you having the dog along as it added a personal dimension to the video story.
    Keep em coming!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thank you, Ryan, for this!

You clearly had a great time, and I'm jealous of your surroundings!!!!!! Keep 'em comin'.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

I love it. Nice looking pack,too. Very cushy shoulder straps.Do you keep your insulation stuffed inside your pack or is there enough room in your pack to keep them loose?I usually keep my stuff in a box. More coming on Josh Billings's packing techniques.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Ryan, thanks! Loved the video, great quality! Did you use the Panasonic TS1 on that trip? I know you probably did some work on the images, but among other things the color saturation is spectacular…

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Great video! Not sure how you manage to pull off such great footage solo, Ryan, but keep it up. The 24 thing is great, and Fall is my favorite time of year to spend in the mountains. If the snow ever gets a little too deep? Well you should only be 12 hours from your bail out point at any time, right?

The prototype pack features look awesome. Looks like you really took the earlier forum feedback to heart! Can't wait to see more. But can we start a thread to cast our vote for the production color? I am guessing the winner would not be purple. I would vote for grey or green.

Also want to see more about that stove. A production item for BPL someday soon, hopefully?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@Jay Wilkerson – BPL ballcaps are an old style; we have a new one we're working on for spring using a bamboo/polyester blend and the new logo.

@Amy Lauterbach – thanks for the link to the bike camper; I had plans to do one of these trips with my lite bike but … the snow has put that on hold, possibly til next spring!

@Daniel
    Goldenberg – Yes, my insulation stays in my pack but it's not stuffed so tight. I use roomy packs mostly unless I'm intentionally going SUL…

@Luke
    Schmidt – funny you should ask; we're working on skills videos a lot this winter.

Wow, thanks everyone for the great feedback on the story!

I've been bedridden with the flu for more than a week, so I apologize for my delay in replying.

@David
    Ure – alcohol stove -it's the pot support/windscreen for the same little titanium stove that looks like a Trangia that I posted on my blog back in June. It burns Esbit and wood too. This is not a BPL stove, we're testing it for another company.

@Damien
    Dry – any resemblance of the pack to the Aarn packs is coincidental and cosmetic; this one uses a very different suspension system.

@Keith
    Selbo – no first aid, no knife (I do carry a knife if I'm hunting or fishing, though), no toiletries, etc. on this trip – BUT I will introduce in a future 24 episode the concept of my Little Bag of Everything that has these things in it.

@Tom
    Caldwell & others – the purply grey fabric was extra stuff; definitely not production fabric.

@Chris
    Wallace – thanks – you NAILED it! It's nice to have someone covering for me who has been hiking with me before :)

@David
    Lutz – I'll switch to down as the temperatures drop. Down would be totally appropriate for what I'm doing in the fall now, too. I like the synthetic quilt and insulation because I'll often grab this pack and its gear for quick packrafting trips too.

@Ken
    Thompson – noted on the sound normalization; will get that addressed in the next episodes.

@Brad
    Groves – this video was shot completely with the TS1. The next two will use some footage from the TS1 and the Olympus E-P1. I also use a Canon Vixia HF100.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

First … great article and video (loved the music!), it got me charged up to try 24's as a way to get out more.

BUT I will introduce in a future 24 episode the concept of my Little Bag of Everything that has these things in it.

Being that we're all gearheads here I would imagine that including a brief mention/critique of some piece of gear (or technique) would be widely enjoyed. (in any/all episodes)

Kerri Larkin
    BPL Member

@kerrilarkin

Glorious photos! Such a wonderful area to get to for a "24". I've just finished my first "24" which took me to a National Park in the heart of Sydney, Australia. Hardly remote, but I spent the best evening in years watching possums in the trees, bandicoots (small furry foraging machines)sniffing my toes, and found a sense of peace I haven't felt in years, despite the background hum of traffic. As you say, it feels like I was gone for a week!

This type of trip will be happening a lot more for me now!

Kerri

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Ryan,
    Very nice job on this and some of the recent family trips. The photos and video were great. I would like to hear more discussion on the video about the gear, but even more about the outdoor experience. It would be fun to capture you and someone else discussing the trip.
    Thanks!
    Tom

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I still want to know how you trained Maya to shake herself off outside the tent!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Mary D.,
    It's probably a couple of commands –
    We taught out dog Out, Back, and Shake.
    And if you've got a water dog, they are essential.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello

I agree excellent job. It seems in the past year or so making hard and fast plans for trips has been difficult.
    The spontaneus overnighter has become very popular.I live 10 minutes from Appalachian Trail and Shenandoah River.It is easy to take for granted whats right around the corner.
    One question the black jacket Ryan is wearing,Houdini or anorak? I could not tell. Just curious.

Thanks Jim

Anne Flueckiger
    BPL Member

@annefluke

Locale: Northern Minnesota

a few weeks ago I did a 24 hr canoe trip with a friend and her 2 yr old. (well, that doesn't include the 2 hr drive to/from the trailhead, but it was 24 hrs from put in to take out.) we really wanted to do a trip this fall and found the one night that worked for both of us. plenty of time to find a campsite, grill a steak & drink wine, sleep long, relax over coffee, and have a relaxed full day of paddling/singing/swimming. My only regret is that we had no camera to capture the little guy toting his Tonka truck over the portages…

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Thanks Ryan. It's always a big deal living in L.A. and having to drive through traffic to get out of the city. Then, once you're out of the city you have to drive a fair distance to get to any decent trails. I never considered 24 hours. Even with a couple hours of drive time that could change a lot and make it less complicated and more fun.

Anne – I wish you had pics of that too. My Tonka truck was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Hi Ryan – What an fantastic video!! Your trip may have been only 24 hours, but it was so much more.

And here I am, living in southeastern Michigan suburbia (just south of Detroit)!! The only mountains here are Mt. Elliott (which is a street) and Mt. Clemens (which is another 'burb outpost). haha But in 4 more years, I hope to remedy this situation as I will be retiring and moving West where I belong.

Your video has inspired me! It has also helped me decide on the perfect hiking dog: a Lab. Your dog Maia (I hope I spelled that right; apologies to your dog if I didn't)seems like joy packed in a furry 4-legged body. :)

Johnathan White

@johnatha1

Locale: PNW

Hey Ryan, did you use any type of ground cloth with that setup?

Thanks!

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools