Topic

24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana’s Gallatin Mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana’s Gallatin Mountains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

This is going to be a lot of fun as we see more and more people sharing their 24 hour trips! I think it is a wonderful series since many of us can't be gone for long periods of time. Thanks for starting off with such a great report!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

You got me fired up Ryan!!..Thank goodness I am heading out to the Trinity Alps this weekend with a few other BPL members…When will the BPL baseball style hats be available? I want one!!!!!!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I loved this story and the video! With two little ones at home, the length of my non-family trips has gotten much shorter and I've settled on the 24 hour trip as a go-to as well.

I have my gear on a big rack and I just grab a pack and start stuffing. All of my small items are in a small bag so the packing is quick and easy. My food box of dehydrated meals, instant coffee, and Clif products makes the whole packing adventure about 15 minutes long. From here it's grab a map and go. Several of my trips have been just about 24 hours- even 24 hours door to door. They are so fun- quick walks into the high country makes for a bit of condensed adventure.

Thanks for sharing Ryan- I hope to contribute to the series!

Doug

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for the series about 24 hour trips.
    Reminds me of a Grant Petersen's similar series geared to bike camping. He calls them Sub-24 Hour Overnight (S24O) trips, and his description of the benefits of a short spontaneous overnight trip are similar to what you've described.

http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_camping/camping_vs_touring

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Great idea! A hectic and a constantly changing schedule often derails many of my planned way in advance backpacking trips. I like the 24 hour window, and will try this out soon.

I recently did a three night trip that I took because another week long trip did not work out. My wife was on her way to visit her mother and the day before she left I decided I'd ride with her about halfway, she'd drop me off at a trailhead, and then pick me up three days later. Most of the trek was in heavy rain. However, it has been one of my best hikes.

Your pictures are fantastic and text is excellent.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Amazing photos as usual Ryan….nice work! Great video too!

Neat to see BPL is making a line of packs. Hopefully there is a cutting edge frameless pack on the menu :)

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Great article! Because of family commitments etc probably 90% of my backpacking are these type of trips. I first started doing these type of trips after Reading a Grant Peterson article on the sub 24 hour overnight (S24HO). Initially, I would do these on the bike and later with backpacking trips.

In the past I've thought about having a pack ready to go with everything (including food), but have not really figured out a good way to do so. I always put my sleeping bag and puffy jacket at the bottom of the pack and obviously do not want to leave them in a compressed state.

I wonder how Ryan handles this? Just compress the puffy insulation and not worry about it? Or have everything except insulation packed which you insert at the last minute? I wonder if there is any long term damage to insulation if it's left compressed for say 1 month?

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Ryan,
    Thanks for covering this type of outing, perfect timing. About to attempt 30 weekends out back to back for this exact type of backcountry experience.

Thanks again
    Jim

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I love this idea, I really should organize my stuff more. I think on one trip it took 3 hours to put everything together (although taking a little brother complicated matters).
    I don't want to hijak the thread but I think its about time BPL made a video. Sort of a video equivolant of Ryan's book.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Just wanted to voice some support for this idea for a series! I know that personally I get too caught up in extensive planning for a trip. It's good to have some encouragement to just get out there.

David Ure

@familyguy

I love the idea, but love the video more.

More video please!

Ryan, what stove system did you use on this '24' trek? Thanks,

Damien Dry
    Spectator

@sillymanwithamoustache

That new 2010 backpackinglight frame pack looks kinda like an Aarn featherlight freedom minus the front balance pockets…

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

great article Ryan, these are always what my trips have been so it is great to get some new idea's…

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

It may be belaboring the issue, but I didn't see a camera on the gear list. You must be like me and build one from moss and bark when you want to take a pic.

What about first aid? Nothing? A knife?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Must be nice to live within 30 minutes of somewhere like that. The drive for me would take 5-6 hours out of my 24. BPL should sell a UL teleportation device.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I live about 30 miles from the nearest trail, so I'm lucky in that regards. I figure on an hour to get there. I can drive to most places in the Ozarks within 4 hours, after that it's two days drive to anyplace better.

You don't actually have to keep your pack packed. If you've got the gear box ready, you can stuff your pack in 3 minutes, which gives you time to stretch after a drive.

Seems rushed to me, but it's a heck of a lot better than not going. I actually do a lot of 55ers, start hiking at noon one day and finish at noon two days later, plus driving time.

The prototype pack sure is purple looking…more purple than my Graper Trail!

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

Sweet video. Video journals are a great I idea; look forward to more.

.. by the way can someone remind me what Tipi Ryan's using?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

He has a custom shorter version of MLD's SuperMid.

Jonas Bodenäs
    BPL Member

@greenjuice

Locale: Göteborg

Hi Ryan,

Since I'm Deaf, I don't understand what you are saying in the video. It'd be great if you can put in subtitles in the video. However, the idea with 24 h-trip is interesting! :)

Jonas

Ralph B Alcorn
    Spectator

@backpack45scb

It would be helpful if your gear list included a link to the item used, or at least brand and model of item, or a note if homemade. With a generic gear list, I am never sure that I am thinking about an equivalent piece of gear. With a brand, I have a standard for comparison. In this gear list, I'm particularly interested in:
    Torso-sized inflatable sleeping pad (8 oz)
    Synthetic quilt (24 oz)
    High loft synthetic hooded jacket (8 oz)
    High loft synthetic pants (7 oz)
    Waterproof-breathable anorak (7 oz)
    Water-resistant wind shirt (4 oz)
    Merino wool hoody (8 oz)
    Merino wool shorts (4 oz)
    Nylon trekking pants (5 oz)

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I can make a very educated guess on this. Some of it I'm 100% sure on, some only 95% sure.

Torso-sized inflatable sleeping pad (8 oz) – BPL TorsoLite
    Synthetic quilt (24 oz) – BPL Cocoon 2010 Prototype
    High loft synthetic hooded jacket (8 oz) – BPL Cocoon (possibly 2010 prototype)
    High loft synthetic pants (7 oz) – BPL Cocoon (possibly 2010 prototype)
    Waterproof-breathable anorak (7 oz) – probably an older Patagonia model
    Water-resistant wind shirt (4 oz) – Patagonia Houdini
    Merino wool hoody (8 oz) – BPL Beartooth
    Merino wool shorts (4 oz) – BPL Beartooth
    Nylon trekking pants (5 oz) – BPL Thorofare

Justin Gunn

@biggunn-1

Great video, Ryan. Les Stroud has NOTHING on you!

I'm also curious what your camera package entails. I'm assuming some sort of solid state memery based HD mini cam with a lightweight tripod/gorilla mount, but would love to know the details.

Thanks,
    Justin

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Interesting…..no down clothing or bag…….

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Impressive bit of guesswork there Chris. Looks like you know your stuff :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools