Topic

Updated Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Updated Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'm always amazed people are so reluctant to try a quilt. Heck, I've been using once since the day my parents brought me home from the hospital.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

…Is anyone using this kind of a setup in the Sierra? As Jim commented, summer temps in the Sierra can vary from the 90's down to the high 20's depending on elevation and conditons. Besides that, the WM Summerlite is 11oz lighter. Is that thing for two people??

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

I think you are quilt boys — no offense or anything.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

I used to own a Yampa…but for a 40 degree down bag it weighs a TON 34oz for my long(650 fill), more than my 10* Versalite. Big Agnes doesn't make light bags. Nothing wrong with them, but they are just not in the ball game as far as I am concerned.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Disclosure: I have no experience with quilts. Every so often I read a quilt post. Just sounds like quilts solve some of the issues you mention. Me – I like to be mummified. Some of the quilts even look like a cross between duvet and sleeping bag. OK, this is just an amateur observation!

Have you seen those systems where you zip a half bag to a down jacket?

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

hx

There are some interesting versions of this. Also sleeping bags with legs.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Do you use them? I've tried a couple and get terribly tangled up. Perhaps there is a way to tack them to the bag at four or five points.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

http://www.lazyboneuk.com/products/SelkBag.html

for those who hate getting out of their bags in the morning

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Thanks Jeff: That's the one I was looking for. Used to be advertised in the back of Outside. Here is the photo from Jeff's link:x

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

And darned inconvenient if you have to pee in the middle of the night. Unless you're a guy.

I'd hate all that stuff between my legs. The arms would drive me crazy too.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

And there's the Nunatak Raku:
    http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/raku.htm

You bring the sleeves inside the bag for sleeping, and the whole thing at the bottom opens up so you don't have "all that stuff between your legs" when you have to relieve yourself in the middle of the night.

I'll let you know what I think of them when I get mine, hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. I really like the idea and decided to buy one to see how well it really works on the trail!

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Hartley wrote: I think you are quilt boys — no offense or anything.

Larry, is it just me or is this chick giving us a hard time? Lol.

Hartley wrote: Have you seen those systems where you zip a half bag to a down jacket?

Those actually look pretty interesting. Haven't tried one, but seems like a good idea. With a hooded down jacket and a half bag, I imagine you could really save some weight.

Hartley wrote: Sleeping bag liners. Do you use them?

I don't. I sleep in my base layer + socks + lt. wt. balaclava (or sometimes a fleece cap). I'm going to carry base layers anyway. A liner would just add more weight. The base layers keep my skin from direct contact with the bag.

The Selk bags look really cool but are pretty heavy, and with separate legs and arms would not be as warm as a sleeping bag for the same reason that gloves are not as warm as mittens.
        * Temperature rating: 49 degrees Fahrenheit
        * Total weight: 3.4 pounds (Medium) 3.8 pounds (large); 4.5 pounds (Extra Large)
        * Fits to: 5 ft 5 inches (Medium); 5 ft 11 (Large); 6 ft 4 in (Extra Large)
    At 6'0", I'd have to get an XL. 4.5 pounds? No thanks. :) However, for getting in and out of a hammock, they'd actually be pretty cool. They're supposed to come out with a down version sometime late this year, so maybe those will have a more reasonable weight.

The wallcreeper looks kind of cool, but bare arms? If it's cold enough that I want to wear my sleeping bag, then I don't want bare arms.

Douglas wrote: I'll let you know what I think of them when I get mine, hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. I really like the idea and decided to buy one to see how well it really works on the trail!

The Raku, now that looks pretty cool. Down covered arms with what appear to be elastic cuffs. Nice. About 2 pounds, but if you don't have to bring a jacket… Please post a review!

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

That Raku thingie looks like something I'd wear if I starred in a movie about Muad'Dib. I'd be having nightmares that he was coming after me with hooks.

But it does look comfortably puffy and cool. Just don't get too close to the fire and you're set.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Lori – It looks more like Jabba!

Someone should start a thread "Sleeping Bags vs. Quilts Pros and Cons…"

Like Jim says, Having a sleeping system I can wear would not mean I would not bring my normal "layers" so, unless the quilt sleeping system is lighter or has someother advantage then I would not opt for this type of thing…

(In another thread I would be interested in hearing other opinions about this though)

Sorry Hartley, I guess I am not a "Quilt Boy" after all :)

Larry

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I just realized that I have replied to this post but I never did reply regarding your gear list.

Here are my suggestions:

Pack – I know you are looking at other options already, and I think you are on the right track with the Ohm, Mariposa Plus, or Gorilla. The Vapor Trail isn’t a bad pack though, so make sure you are comfortable with the replacement.

Shelter- As you know, I used the SL1 for years and am very fond of it. There are lighter alternatives out there, but if you want to keep it, it is certainly a good tent, and you could replace the stakes with lighter ones etc, to save weight. I finally went to a Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter and Alpinelite Bug Tent for a total shelter weight of 24oz with stakes and guylines.

Sleeping Bag – You are already looking at good replacements from Western Mountaineering etc.

Bear Canister – I wish you didn’t have to take one of these, but as mentioned before, the Bearikade can save you a bit of weight, but at a price.

Cooking – There are a few things you can do to save weight here. First off, you can go to a smaller pot if this is for solo use. I use the Evernew 600ml pot (3.4oz) and it is more than big enough. I would also ditch the mug and use the cookpot to drink coffee or tea (whatever you use the mug for) out of. I would mark the inside of my pot at commonly used measures to eliminate the need for the measuring cup. Last of all you could even go to an alcohol stove system such as the Caldera Cone (eliminating the pocket rocket and stove shield). This saves weight on shorter trips, but not on longer stretches between resupply as alcohol is relatively inefficient as a fuel.

Water Handling – I am not familiar with Klear Water, but I repackage my Aqua Mira from the 3 once retail pack to Gossamer Gear Mini Dropper Bottles with the system weighing 1oz. Depending on where you hike and the water conditions, the 6L water tank may not be needed.

Clothing – Looks good except I would drop the camp shoes.

First Aid Kit – There have been some good threads on first aid kits here recently. You could probably drop a ounce or two from yours. Focus on taking small quantities of everything and even repackaging when able to make a thorough but not overdone kit (e.g. – how many band aids do you really need)

Bug Repelent – Repackage this into mini dropper bottles. 2oz is enough for a entire hiking season.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Wow, I replied to the gear list that was posted at the very beginning of this thread. Lot's of replies! My insights may no longer be valid.. but here goes:

My insights and feedback…
    =================================

37 Granite Gear Vapor Trail – Yes, y'need a big pack for the bear can.

42.7 Big Agnes SL1 – Wow – Get a GG tarp and a head net and save 40 ounces

26 Thermarest ProlitePlus Regular – Wow, that' heavy! Get a BPL torso light and save 18 ounces.

1 CCF Seat Pad 12×12 – Nix, you'll be fine without it.

35 REI Sahara 30 degF regular – Get a GoLite quilt and save a pound.

44 Garcia Bear Canister – Uuuugh! (I understand it's required)

2 Soap – 2 oz is a bit much, you can easily repackage and get it down to 1/2 oz.

3 TP – You can NIX this and get the weight to zero.

Food = approx 16oz/day – Wow, that's actually quite low.

Cooking
    5.8 Evernew 1100ml titanium
    3.9 MSR Pocket Rocket
    0.9 BPL Titanium Stove Shield
    1.8 Titanium Cup
    0.7 Measuring cup

Consider going with alcohol. Lighter in most situations. You have 3 vessels, a pot, a titanium cup, and a measuring cup. Are you solo camping? You don't need three.

Water Handling
    3.1 6L Water Tank
    3.8 2 – 1 L water bottles

You have 8 liters of water capacity? Are you in the northern sierras, or the souther Mojave? Wow – THis is WAY over kill. I have a little bit of Sierra experience, and I found plenty of water, even up high.

5.8 extra shirt – Is this part of your layering or sleeping system? You shouldn't have anything "extra" – instead you should have exactly what you need to be warm and comfortable. If it's "extra" it's un-needed, and should be nixed.

2.6 extra pair uw – You can easily NIX these. You'll be fine with one pair on your body.

2.0 Nylon Camp shoes (2 ounces? Really?) You can NIX these too and save 2 ounces!

=====================================

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

After taking some of the recommendations from this post, I have shaved off another 35.4 oz.

1. I nixed the seat pad (-1oz)
    2. I switched to a 23oz MH Phantom 32 bag (-12oz)
    3. Rent or purchase a Bearikade Weekender (-13oz)
    4. Reduce the soap and jungle juice to 1oz each (-2oz)
    5. Switch to a Foster's Beer Can Pot (-4.9oz)
    6. Leave the Pocket Rocket case home. (0.9)
    7. Nix the extra cup. (-1.8oz)
    8. Use lighter water bottles (-.8)

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools