Topic

20% at REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 20% at REI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

The Bi-Annual 20% off member sale starts on 10/9/09. I already know what I am getting, do you? =o)

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

What do you plan to get? A 20% discount isn't enough to get me to jump on anything anymore. What about the rest of you?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

maybe a spork

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

After taxes it only comes out to be about a 10% discount for me. Too bad REI has to put so many stores in so many states.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I agree with Aaron. After I pay taxes, shipping, and put up with the super slow shipping, I'm better off buying somewhere else. And they just don't sell much I use any more.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

Yeah, I can usually get something delivered cheaper from somewhere else even after giving REI a 20% discount "Handicap" during the 20% sale.

I was actually at the REI store last time they had the 20% off sale going on getting a can of stove fuel – The lady in front of me was buying a $350 TNF jacket and even though the sales person was pleading with them to sign up for a membership ($20) so they could get 20% ($70) off the jacket they declined and paid full price. ??

That made me realize I don't think I am included in REI's main target market and the sales probably aren't targeted at people like me. :) (Even though they send me way too much stuff in the mail!)

Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

Get 30% off and not have to pay taxes? Then would it be worth it?

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

I don't know, sounds like a good deal, depends on the item!

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

>Yeah, I can usually get something delivered cheaper from
    >somewhere else even after giving REI a 20% discount
    >"Handicap" during the 20% sale.

I give REI big points on their service. There is a brick store near me, so free shipping and easy returns. I like their return policy. I like their website and the user reviews. Their granola eating hippie staff has had extreme patience with me trying it on, playing with it, and weighing it even if I never buy it.

I'm looking forward to the sale. I'm going to swap out a sleeping bag I got last year for a warmer/lighter one. I bought it a year ago. I cut the tags off. I cut the sleeping mat straps off. I don't have my receipt. REI is still happy to swap with me.

I agree that their prices are high. I look for their sales and coupons, so I can get that same service for a little less.

A scout is Thrifty, not cheap.
    acronym 10/7/2009 2:44 PM

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

You're swapping out a sleeping bag you used for a year and significantly altered to get a newer better one? Cool, I guess. Way to abuse the return policy.

Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

Yea what a cheap…if I go any further with this, the staff on here will remove me comment but we all know where I was going with this. Seriously, people like you ruin the return policy that is offered to the rest of us. REI will eventually put a ban on their 100% satisfaction motto, after you go ahead and exchange a dozen or so sleeping bags out which will end up costing them $2500. Way to screw over the system bozo!

Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

If you could only hear what those "…granola eating hippies…" had to say behind you back. Ha!

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

LOL, only in America could this guy be for real.

Seth Tanner

@sethtan

oo

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

I returned an REI Roadster tent after using it for a year. It was a pathetic tent and I really only expected to get some credit for it since it was used for a year. No, they gave me store credit for the full purchase price. Of course, I turned around and purchased a Big Agnes SL1 with the store credit. I don't think they actually lose money on returns though since they are not actually giving you dollar for dollar back.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Having a lot of small-store retail experience, my hunch is they just take the value of the returned item from "Company X" off of "Company X's" next invoice.

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me. What is "Company X" going to do about it?

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

I understand warranties and customer satisfaction, but does it really take someone a year to decide they don't like something?

So by these standards, I should be able to buy a new coffeemaker, use it for a year until it's basically worn out, and just return it to the department store to trade for a new one?

I don't buy stuff from REI anyway, unless it's the steeply discounted sales.

A. B.

@tomswifty

The discount is really only 10-12% since the item you purchase does not count towards your dividend.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Here's how it goes down:

P1: I returned an item that I had altered and abused for 20 years and they still gave me store credit. I love REI.

P2: Don't you have any shame?

P1: Why should I be ashamed; it's their policy and they're still making money off it somehow. If not, they can change it!

P3: But your actions raise the prices for everyone else because we're subsidizing your returned items!

P1: You don't know that! And besides, REI is a huge corporation. A few small losses for the thousands I've given them over the years is no biggie!

P4: It is NOT a corporation! It's a co-op, run by its members! And you are taking advantage of it.

P5: It isn't a co-op by the legal definition! That's just a marketing gimmick.

P4: Not true. The members vote for representation on the board! Boo-yah.

P6: Who shops at REI anyway? They have absolutely ZERO UL gear. REI sucks.

P2: Well maybe they WOULD carry UL gear if people like P1 didn't return their items all the time. But with people like him abusing the system, they'll never carry cuben fiber umbrellas!

—There you go. No need to continue down this path.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nate, You are taking away all their fun. What if REI sold guns?

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

Having a lot of small-store retail experience, my hunch is they just take the value of the returned item from "Company X" off of "Company X's" next invoice.

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me. What is "Company X" going to do about it?

I seriously doubt it. REI offers the satisfaction guarantee, and REI takes a hit when a customer returns a used item. The manufacturer would only be involved if the product was in some way defective and covered by a warranty. Even then, it's more likely that REI would salvage the item than try to collect on the warranty. The warranty would only come into play if the customer turned to the manufacturer rather than REI. Of course, REI has a smart and effective means of recouping some of those losses — their yard sales.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Haha, pretty dead on there Nate. I've read enough of these threads in the past as well. Still, we at least needed a summary like what you gave. I should have made it the first reply…

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

That's one of the funnier things I've read on here lately!

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Perhaps people like me will be the end of REI's 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Perhaps I got a sleeping bag that let me down one night out of the three I used it, and I just needed a warmer bag. Shame on me for cutting off the tags and/or not rushing to return the bag within 30 days.

Perhaps letting me swap out one sleeping bag will encourage me to point out the value of REI service. Perhaps I may continue to direct thousands of dollars of business a year to REI.

Perhaps I like granola and the Grateful Dead, and I meant only a friendly jab to all of us.

Perhaps I started the name calling. My apologies to those offended.

acronym 10/8/2009 3:28 AM

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Sorry. Double post. I should return my internet provider too.

acronym10/8/2009 3:37 AM

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools