Topic

Zipper pulls

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Zipper pulls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Kind of embarrassing to post this in MYOG, but does anyone have a tricky way to make your own cord zipper pulls, for those tiny zippers on Tarptents?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

My version is a 4" piece of Air Core 2 cord folded in half with a thin piece of red duct tape over the ends.
    I need a few of them to register on my scale. Difficulty level : (from 1-5) 0.5
    Franco
    Zip pull

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

cut an 8" length of cord
    fold double
    tie the loose ends with overhand or figure-8 knot
    attach to the zipper pull tab with girth hitch

example from an MYOG bivy:myog zipper puls

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Perfect, thanks. I may buy some shrink wrap tubing and try it Franco's way, with the shrink wrap.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

You can also cut off the metal zipper pull part with wire snips and then thread a small cord through the slot and knot it – helps keep it quiet on tent zips in the wind, etc. especially when there are double sided pull that end up together clicking together. Reflective cord is sometimes helpful.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Perfect, thanks. I may buy some shrink wrap tubing and try it Franco's way, with the shrink wrap.

Be sure to report on how the aircore line handles temperatures high enough to shrink the tubing.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

I don't have any aircore, I just have boring old triptease. And some glow in the dark stuff I got on EBay from a guy in Hong Kong.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Joe,
    I use different colors, or a longer pulls, on the lower slider so I know which way to go.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools