Topic

Solo Tarp without a Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solo Tarp without a Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Brett Morgan

@whydrive

Locale: East Tennessee

What size tarp does everyone think is small enough to use without a bivy but big enough for pure protection?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Brett my poncho tarp is about 5ft. by 8ft. and I would not us it without a bivy. Its just too small to keep rain from blowing in the edges. I think 8 by 10 would be enough and give you more living room too. I tried a cheap walmart tarp for camping with kids over the summer and its already got some holes in it. I think Equinox makes a light nylon tarp about that size. Good luck I haven't carried a tent in two years and haven't missed it.

Brett Morgan

@whydrive

Ok i understand what your saying. Etowah outfitters makes a 6x10ft tarp that im interested in trying. but then there is the equinox tarp that is 8x10ft tarp that is less money but i have read on this website that they are not so reliable (they wear out and the grommets come loose). oh and i want to spend less than 100 bucks. so i still need the help! :)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Brett,

The Equinox tarps are actually well made and durable. I haven't heard of many failures of the grommets, but if that is a concern you could sew, or hand stitch, small grosgrain tabs next to the grommets. If you don't sew, I'm sure you could find a friend or relative to do it for you. They would hold as well as anything!

Good luck,
    Todd

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Brett, I've used several of the Equinox sil tarps and never had a problem. You can pick up an 8 x 10 for $84, and it weighs 13.9oz. My tarps have been hit by some heavy winds coming straight off of lakes (ie Lake Superior, smaller inland) and across fields, and I've never really had a problem with them. One exception: I always rig with a ridge line, which means a line under the full length of the tarp. That line helps provide a lot of support to the tarp, and takes strain off the ridgeline grommets, too. One time I just tied off to the grommets on the ridgeline, used zero-stretch spectra lines, and a trucker hitch on each end to get the tarp super tight. I did pull out a grommet then, but I was doing everything wrong (and the tarp still worked fine, I added a grosgrain loop when I got home, took about 1 minute).

Pitch it right, it'll serve you well. Given that many similar tarps can run nearly double the money, the Equinox tarps are money well spent.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

This site has some sil-nylon tarps:

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products.html

As does this one:

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

Both are geared for hammockers.

In addition, you can find the GoLite Hut 1 on close out for 70 dollars or less, and it is a fantastic piece of equipment.

Good luck!

Brett Morgan

@whydrive

can somebody post a link on the knots i would have to use with the ridge line and the guy out points? that would be very much appreciated! and thanks for the info on the grommets at the top.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

You might want to double check, but I thought Brian Robinson used a 5'x8' tarp for his triple crown (in a single year…so he saw lots of weather), without a bivy. He stressed site selection and pitch.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

I have a Speer Winter Tarp that is 11' x 10'. It has folds (door like) on the ends so you can close it to keep the rain and wind out. The tarp only weighs 16 oz. His no tangle line weighs 1-2 ounces for 10 pcs 10' long

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

Taught line
    Figure 8 on a bight
    Prussic
    Siberian hitch
    Trucker's hitch

Animated Knots.

See also previous discussion.

acronym 10/2/2009 7:43 PM

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

You'll probably want a Trucker's Hitch.

Grog's Animated Knots has a lot of good stuff.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I have a 6×10 foot tarp, and I wouldn't use it without my bivy. It's a much better size than the 5×8 I was using, especially for a tall hiker, but it's not large enough to go bivyless. An 8×10 would be the minimum size I would recommend.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I vote for the taughtline hitch which I learned in boy scouts and have used in the 50 yrs since. The truckers hitch will let you pull your tent tight as a drum, but it's not as convenient to adjust in AND out. I leave the taughtline hitch on the lines when I pack up the tent. At the next site, I adjust it in or out depending on the need.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

All of this depends on where and when you plan on using the tarp without a bivy. No heavy rain then a 7×9 will work, but any chance of precipitation or wind would require 8×10. We use Oware silnylon tarps and 6 oz bivies in the rainforest just to be sure.

Unknown abc

@edude

I use a bowline in my tarps for permanent loopholes to slide stakes through. tie em' tight at home and there l' be no-hassle out in the field.

cheers

P ritch

@flix

Locale: Seattle area

"In addition, you can find the GoLite Hut 1 on close out for 70 dollars or less, and it is a fantastic piece of equipment."

Nate,

Where is the Hut 1 still available? I've been looking for one. Thanks.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I'm not a bivy fan.
    I use a 8×10 tarp by Integral Designs called the Siltarp2. Fantastic bit of kit.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Well darn, looks like they may be out.

I got mine at Dom's Outdoors in Livermore a but now they seem to just have the Hut 2. Hilton's Tent City also had a few, but now seem to just have the Hut 2. It'd be worth giving Dom's a call to see if they have one lying around.

I went in person and they found one back in storage and *still* had a choice between sage and stone colors. So maybe the one I didn't buy is still there.

If that fails, the Shangri-La 1 is basically the Hut 1–just have to wait for a good deal on it. (20 percent off at Basegear on everything, perpetually.).

The Hut 2 is okay. Bigger for sure, but not as wind-worthy and light. Though very roomy. I prefer the 1 for solo outings and 2 for when with a friend.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

If you don't mind sewing, I would recommend the RayWay solo tarp. I have used one a lot w/o a bivy and if properly pitched, will keep one dry. It has beaks on both ends that help a lot. I weathered a 3" per hour storm with winds to about 35 mph in one and never saw a drop hit my sleeping gear.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools