Topic

Lost coast N. Cal mid octo?? weather??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Lost coast N. Cal mid octo?? weather??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Trevor Warmedahl

@chokmah33

Im gonna be down in N. Cal. in Mid october and I want to hike the entire lost coast from Mattole to Usal road. I was wondering if anyone could give me heads up as far as what trail conditions and weather I should expect.

Jack Scheckton

@meestajack

Locale: Brooklyn

The weather is almost perfect right now… 70s during the day, mid to low 50s at night and in the early morning.

Each night around sunset a fog rolls into most areas and burns off some areas in the afternoon sun…

The curves and mountains of norcal create microclimates, so one hill might be 85 degrees and then next 65. Layer smartly and you should be fine.

Not sure when the rainy season starts exactly, but the weather should continue to be perfect for a little while in the fall.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Cooling off the last couple of days. But still very nice. Probably won't start raining in earnest till around Thanksgiving. Cools off sooner though. Feel free to PM me. It's in my backyard.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Hey Ken, did you hook up with Josh Billings on his Lost Coast trip last Spring? Or was it just during his planning.

It's interesting that this topic came up. I'm researching ideas for a 7-10 trip in mid/late October. I like to keep on the move, and really am looking forward to Solitude. How long does it usually take to do this trip? What kind of miles per day?

cheers,
    -Michael

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

October tends to be fairly dry but often a big storm will come through. The weather is completely unpredictable. Mattole River runs through what my old Forestry professor called a virtual rainforest. It rains that much up there. Though I suspect the coastal section is not so wet.

Trevor Warmedahl

@chokmah33

I definitly prepared for rain but Id like to time it right to avoid major storms. Im leaving washington 10/7 and hiking a section of oregon coast before heading up the rogue. I'll be down to eureka hopefully 10/14 through 10/18. I've been out to petrolia before but Im going to have to hitch hike in from ferndale this time. If anyone else wants to join i'd love company and would kick down for a ride. I like to get up early cover good milage so let me know if your interested.

Jim Carr

@jcarr

Locale: Humboldt County

You may or may not know that the lost coast trail goes through 2 different wilderness. From Petrolia to Shelter Cove is the Kings Range and you will need a bear cannister, tide table to time getting past some points and is on the beach the whole time. From Shelter Cove to Usall is the Sinkyone and no cannister is required and you stay on land and go up and down and up and… I have done the Sinkyone and loved it but I have no desire to spend 3 days walking in sand.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The north end actually has quite a bit of trail off the beach. You just have to know where to look. Love hiking on the marine terrace looking down on the hikers slogging along in the sand.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools