Topic

Starbucks instant coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Starbucks instant coffee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

Anyone try starbucks' new instant coffee called coffee via? It's fantastic! Tastes just like their regular coffee. Now, I prefer to make my own in a French press, but for backpacking, this would be a very lightweight and tasty option. I give it 5 stars.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

What store did you find it in ?

I've been looking for it, and can't seem to find it in stores.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Cameron they have it at the Walnut Creek-Starbucks–Funny I was just going there now—-I will pick you up some for the use of your Solo Bearvault —which I need to get back to you… I will PM you later..

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Something is different. I had to buy it on line this summer because Sbux only had it in Seattle and I think, Chicago stores. Today I see this on their Website:

"Starbucks VIAâ„¢ Ready Brew is now available all US and Canada locations and through select partners like apparel retailer REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.), on United Airlines US flights over two hours, Omni Hotels as well as select Marriott locations."

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

I've used it all summer and it is now my preferred trail coffee. Easy, light weight, and tastes pretty decent. Comes in two varieties, Columbia and Italian Roast. While I usually prefer darker roasts, in this case I think the Columbia tastes better than the Italian Roast.

When it was first announced, Via was available only online and in a few stores in select major cities. Starbucks must have been happy with the sales results as it is now available (or is coming soon) in most stores.

Now if only Peet's would come out with a good instant…

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I just picked up a couple of 12 packs in the Minneapolis area today. Tried one out and it was very good.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Sounds like I was looking for it in stores, when it was only available in limited markets. I'll have to go check again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Now if only Peet's would come out with a good instant…"

Oh yeah! Meantime, SBUX Via isn't a bad backup, especially when it's the only show in town. I used it on a recent 9 day trip and found it to be the best thing I have ever had this side of the real thing(Peets or Starbucks Arabian Mocha Sanani). At 7 grams/pkt it's light and compact, and the flavor is as good as any SBUX drip I've ever tasted.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

im on the fence, guys.

several reviews have stated mixed feelings, some say it is nowhere close to starbucks drip (which i dont think is great anyway) some say it tastes like starbucks drip, but slightly "stale"
    some think its weak, needs more strength.
    and it carries that burnt-overroasted starbucks sig and adds some bitterness to boot.
    some say its best served black, cream or milk ruins it.
    (but whatever i hear, it just HAS to be better than JavaJuice, right? tell me it's so)

some say its good. some think bud light is good.

in search of the impossible i suppose.

when old bisbee roasters enters the equation its easy to justify 5oz of french press: http://www.oldbisbeeroasters.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y
    :)
    :)

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

"…some say it is nowhere close to starbucks drip…but whatever i hear, it just HAS to be better than JavaJuice, right?"

It's still instant, not real coffee. But so far it is the best solution short of taking real coffee that I've found for backpacking and WAY WAY better than JavaJuice.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I bought six boxes of twelve, three Colombian and three Italian roast, mainly for hikes that are longer than four days… when fresh ground coffee would become very stale. I found that I like mixing one package of each in a large cup (I use a FireLite .55L which is my only pot/cup). The taste is not quite up to the standard that I usually enjoy (I home roast some of the very best coffees in the world), but probably the best instant around.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My new favorite too! Better than Java Juice, Meddici instant expresso, and any other instant or tea bag coffee. It's close enough to a good coffee flavor that it goes beyond a simple "caffeine delivery system". :-)

Right now I'm enjoying a shot of Lavazza Super Crema espresso out of my Saeco superautomatic home espresso machine. During the week I'm a total snob- no sugar, no milk, just the "right" coffee. By weekend though, I become less picky and not interested in lots of prep or cleanup. Guys- this Starbucks Via is brilliant!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I went to my local Starbuck's yesterday to stock up on my usual Sumatra, and that was the day that Via became available everywhere. I schmoozed my regular sales gal (also a backpacker), reminded her of our BPL community and how we desperately needed a quality brew for the trail, and she comped me a dozen samples of the 2 varieties. 10 minutes ago I popped two packets of the Columbian into my big SP double-walled mug, added nearly 2 C of hot water, and I'm now enjoying the best instant joe ever. It will be heavier than my usual Nescafe Classico, but tastes far, far better. Can't wait to try the Italian. So, hit your local store and pick up some free samples before they give them all away.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Tuesday was the national release day. Us living in King County, Wa (ie…the radius around Seattle) have had it for 5,6 months? ;-)

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

looks as if in the area where i live only Starbucks and Target are going to carry this.. what the?!

its unfair judgement for me to pass comparing these two, without any experience with the VIA, but a buch of folk also glamorized the Medaglia D'Oro and i tried it with little appreciation. I am hoping, seriously, that VIA is better than that!

but fwiw, OP does like his tequila and has a very similar palate when being a 'snob' about the agave juice, and i agree with him on many things.. so justin im going to get off my stubborn ass and try this stuff (and free is even better)

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

The only contendah I've not been able to compare against Via is the legendary Nescafe Espresso, which is devilishly hard to obtain in the States. Against all the other usual suspects (and Medaglia D'Oro is swill) Via is the clear winner to my palate. I'll be happy to not have to mail order the stuff.

Saluté,

Rick

Willem Jongman

@willem

The global market is still some way off. I am fascinated by your Starbucks accounts, but cannot possibly get it in Holland. On the other hand, I have a box full of Nescafe espresso (not Nespresso, that is something else again). Drinking it for two weeks was enough to make me decide to bring real coffee next time, with an Ortlieb folding filter to be put on/in my mug. There is only so much misery I can take.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Hi Willem,

Thanks for weighing in on Nescafe. I'd read scattered glowing accounts but could never tell whether they were from actual coffee fanatics. You sound qualified :-)

It doesn't look like Starbucks ships internationally. Your best hope might be to cajole someone flying back from the States to pick some up at the airport. Every major American airport is legally required to have at least fifteen Starbucks.

Cheers,

Rick

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I know that this will gross out some of you, but Taster's Choice freeze-dried coffee is not bad, and extremely light when repackaged into a snack-sized ziplock.

Besides, for that real kick in the morning, you can eat it dry — right out of the ziplock.

Too much? Eat it with a spoonful of dry Cremora.

Mmm, Mmm. Good. And you can wrassle a grizzly afterwards — and win.

Okay, Okay. I'm kidding about those last three parts but not about the ziplock 1/4 full of Taster's Choice.

Stargazer

Willem Jongman

@willem

I do get to the States quite a lot, so I will get some next time. However, the regular stuff they serve does not quite excite me either. I also spend time in Italy, you know….

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Starbuck's coffee is uniquely American. It may have its roots in Italy but ya know, I was a barista for a near decade and I like my lattes and coffee American style, not teeth staining Italian. Then again, I also like my pizza US style ;-) Italian coffee ain't 'all that'….

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I've given up on coffee on the trail; I like mine as cafe au lait (half hot milk) and I find that any dried milk and hot water just don't mix. Cold reconstituted dried milk on cereal is fine, but hot is just awful. I like the convenience of not having to fire up the stove in the mornings (saves fuel weight, too!).

For instant at home (I drink only one cup per day and otherwise drink an herbal "coffee" called Teecino) I use Mt. Hagen Organic instant coffee, a German brand, available only in high-end health food stores. I really like it.

I haven't tried Via yet but am not particularly fond of St.Arbuck's coffee in general (too bitter and I swear they over-caffeinate it). I prefer to patronize locally owned espresso spots.

Your mileage will undoubtedly vary!

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

I like Via. I took enough packets with me to Philmont in July to have 2-3 every day for 10 mornings on the trail. I had a few to share with my son and others. It was easy compared to cowboy coffee — faster, less mess. I am sold on Via for trail coffee. Now that free samples are available in many
    Starbucks stores it is time to give it a try.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

Had Via again this morning just to make sure my first packet wasn't just a fluke. It's not bad at all. Grantid, it's nothing like making your own in a coffee press or anything (and I'm more partial towards Peet's), but we are talking about dehydrated "trail coffee" and for that purpose, I think this stuff is REALLY good!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

To me, it tastes like Starbucks drip, which isn't my first choice, but good enough.

Disclaimer: I also like Java Juice. And unlike Sar, I like my coffee to be able to stand up on its own!

I have heard rumors that Starbucks is going to come out with some different flavors of the Via, but I don't know how true that is.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools