Topic

Cleanliness on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Cleanliness on the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Ok, I think it's a good point that those of us that have jobs and are not able to get out for lengthy trips may not have the right perspective on what is really necessary. In my case, it is just to take a rag and wash face and hair to get some of the body oils off.

Douglas Wolf
    BPL Member

@munnin

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

> Does the bathing feel good? Yes, but only because your mind is tricking you. It's > just water and you're just you.

> Bathe if you must but don't spoil the water source with your soaps.

> Imo, you're satiating a want not a need. /first aid aside.

Do animals need to clean themselves? Or do they do it just to feel good? In your opinion, are animals that clean themselves just satiating a want?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I keep clean on the trail. Keep the dirt, salts, who knows what out of my sleeping bag. Feels good even if it is plain water. Rinse out my clothes, gear so the deer don't eat them for the salt.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I wash everyday, weather permitting, and it has to be some really nasty cold weather to keep me from jumping in. I have broken the ice on a couple of occasions to get in but conditions have to be right before I will do that. I have found that just stripping down and scrubbing with snow does a pretty good job as well, but I can understand where others would disagree. Another method that works for me is wash the top half and then put on my long silk top and wind shirt, and then wash the bottom half, if it's a bit too chilly for a full dunk.

I spend most of my time above tree line and in some lakes and ponds when I am diving in, I am turning towards shore before I even hit the water. I find that I feel SO much better when I clean up each night both physically and physiologically as well. It is amazing how warm the sun can feel when the water is in the 30's or 40's and the air temp is in the 40's or 50's with no wind. For me the big thing is the wind, and above tree line it is pretty pervasive.

I have had my share of sponge baths, either from the stove or wet wipes, but nothing beats a complete dunk. I don't use sunscreen or insect repellent so I feel a bit better about diving in, but if the body of water or stream flow isn't large enough, then I revert back to the sponge bath. I also will jump in throughout the day as opportunities present themselves. When you are dragging late in the afternoon, a quick dip can get another 3 miles down the trail.

When thru hiking I didn't get as good of a clean up, but found time to wash at least every other day on the PCT. On the CDT the weather was so cold and poor, I felt like I had been bathing all day and didn't want to risk hypothermia for a clean up. I would go for days when I don't think I even worked up a sweat as I couldn't get warm enough even when hiking.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

The sea to summit pocket shower may weigh 4 oz without case but it can multiuse as a sleeping bag and clothes dry bag a water carrier and a pillow it would be nice if it was air tight enough to be an air pillow but mine is not

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

If its more than an overnight I always bathe. Especially on big days…..an ice cold splash is amazing. I wish you all could enjoy it as I do. A full dunk in icy waters is like a reset button.

I always do laundry on lunch break, and usually dip then too. I never use soap, but handful of sand on the pits works

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools