Topic

Cuben tarps – roll or stuff?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben tarps – roll or stuff?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I just got an MLD patrol shelter and grace solo tarp in cuben. Should I roll these to put in the stuff sacks, or can I just stuff them?

Thanks for any insight.

S P

@highaltitude

I don't have an answer since I have never owned anything in cuben, but any chance of getting a review/comparison of both shelters.

So many times I have thought, do I get the Patrol or go for the tarp? LOL!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

This isn't specific to cuben (which I've never used), but I like to roll. I've heard people say to stuff (ie. "Why do you think it's called a STUFF sack?") but doing so puts a lot more creases/folds in the material. When you pull out a stuffed tarp the whole thing is covered in creases, whereas a rolled tarp only has a few.

Does this really matter? I dunno…creasing seems like it can't be a good thing. It may fatigue/wear the material over time.

Besides this, it's easier to pack it smaller by rolling it.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

My Grace Duo came from Ron folded so I just fold it as well. He's had enough experience with Cuben to know what works best.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Carefully folding, and squeegeeing out the air will result in a much smaller package. Nonetheless the stuff sack should be big enough to accommodate a wet tarp stuffed in a hurry.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

"Cuben Fiber retains 100% of its original strength after being folded 250 times." according to questoutfitters.com.

Might just be personal preference.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools