Topic

MYOG Cuben + Sawyer Gravity system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MYOG Cuben + Sawyer Gravity system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Hey everybody! I am searching for a better water treatment system, i dont like the thirty minute wait time with my current setup (2 2L platys + frontier pro in gravity mode + micropur), and it only filters 2L at a time! That means if i want more fast, i have to pack another 2l platy and treat them both simultaneously with micropur, once they are done, one then the other through the gravity system. I dont like the wait penalty and I dont like the extra weight.

Also if i make one of these similar to the amigo, i can use it as a packcover and bearbag! Saving me the weight of lugging around a pack cover and food bag.

Possible Solution 1:

Make a cuben version of the amigo pro, except use a sawyer instead of an amigo.

couple questions:

1. Can i use my hosing that came with my platypus's? seems kinda heavy. If lighter tubing can be found let me know.

2. What pieces of hardware will i need? ie plastic connectors, metal fasteners etc.

3. How to attach the sawyer to the cuben part.

4. If I get the sawyer purifier instead of the filter, will it be super slow or whatnot? IF anyone has experience with this, please chime in.

thanks everybody.

PS-Is cuben really nearly $30 a yard? Is so, i may be reconsidering!

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I don't use a cuben bag, but use two platypus instead. One is the clean one, while the other is the dirty one. I just use the connectors made for drink tubes. The dirty one has string tied to the bottom so I can hang it from a branch. I sometimes have to burp the system, but it works well. When hiking, I use the dirty platypus, connected to the filter and just drink and go (so I don't carry much water). Water weighs way more than any of the other equipment, so if I'm traveling next to a stream (or a bunch of lakes) I can save quite a bit on my average weight. I use the drip system around camp (where it is nice to have a clean platypus to drink from). I could (if I wanted) just drip into the cook pot (to save a few ounces and not bring a "clean" platypus). I hope all that made sense. I believe my filter is a Seychelle (not Sawyer). It drips fairly quickly (a couple minutes or so to drain a bag). It doesn't handle viruses, but I'm not worried about it where I hike (Washington State, Canadian Rockies, etc.).

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

This thread has parts numbers from US Plastics that help. Check out Tony Fleming's posts.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20707&skip_to_post=175199#175199

The tubing from your platypus is probably fine.
    People have also made gravity systems using the top of a nalgene bottle and cutting off the threaded part of the bottle to use as the fitting clamped onto the bag.

Just use silnylon for the bag, ala Ray Jardine.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Yea i guess my whole point is to use the sawyer-no wait time. So basically is the purifier ok to use in a gravity setup, or is the filter size too small to allow adequate flow?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Bill made one of these years ago out of cuben.

Check out his ul skunk works site.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Ok so Here is the update:

I am awaiting on tony's ok to order the following parts:

1/4 female nylon adapter
    1/4 male nylon adapter
    silicone tubing
    stopcock valve

I have ordered:
    cuben fabric 1 yard
    Sawyer Inline filter

Now my issues is:

I want to install a prefilter thing like the frontier pro has. I want to somehow install it before the filter. Would stuffing it up the tube work? or would that slow the rate of flow so much that it would render the system useless?

So i need suggestions on installing those little prefilters that the frontier pro uses in a sawyer inline gravity setup similar to the amigo pro, except the filter is not inside the bag, but down towards the platy that catches the clean water.

So it would look like this:

Tree –> Cuben bag similar to amigo –>; silicone tubing –>; prefilter frontier pro thingy –> Sawyer — > tubing –> Clean platy.

Also in the future, i would like to discover a way to incorporate a charcoal element into the process, towards the end b4 it goes into the clean bag.

I will get pics up of the process once i get all the parts in and get to work.

Please offer advice and suggestions of you have any.

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

> …I want to install a prefilter thing like the frontier > pro has.
    > …So i need suggestions on installing those little prefilters
    > that the frontier pro uses
    >
    > …So it would look like this:
    >
    >Tree –> Cuben bag similar to amigo –>; silicone tubing –>; prefilter frontier pro thingy –> Sawyer — > tubing –> Clean platy.
    >
    > Also in the future, i would like to discover a way to incorporate a charcoal element into the process, …

I have been thinking along similar lines. The Frontier Pro is only about 2.2 ounces … what about just using that as a prefilter/charcoal element prior to the Sawyer? Not the lightest option, but it should work just fine!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

You could use a section out of a 1 micron polyester strainer bag as a prefilter.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

WIll think about that. I am trying to avoid the frontier pro, i fear it will stop working after a few days-as most report. I also want to avoid the weight of the whole thing, when i only need the prefilter part of it. The point of this setup is weight reduction, and RELIABILITY (which the frontier pro seems to lack). The ability to backwash the sawyer is important. The point of the prefilter is to increase the longevity of the sawyer.

possibillities for prefilter part:

$22 + ship .1 micron polyester filter bag:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2180

$14.99 + ship 1 micron
    http://www.vacdepot.com/product-info/655?utm_source=FGL_VACDEPOT&utm_medium=compare&utm_term=10-0007-A

Does any1 know where to get more of those prefilters that come with the frontier pro?

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

A small polyester prefilter from a filter bag is pretty light and cost less than $10. They make them in 1/2 micron, 1 micron and up.

Actually if you are treating your water with clorine and its a clean source you might not even need the AM filter at all.

There is a guy on youtube that uses one. You can look him up. Has it shaped into a cone. I tried one as a test and it flows well. but when wet is a bit heavy. Would make a good prefilter for a frontier pro.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

You can get the bags cheaper than that.

As far as the factory prefilters, I would contact AM.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I dont think i will be worrying about chlorine, maybe take it as a backup. The sawyer should take care of everything except viruses, and if i wanted to take care of that i would get the purifier. However, the purifier seems to have some issues with it so i am not confident in that. I want this system to provide: instant water treatment (no waiting, i accept virus risk, seeing it as unlikely at best), good weight savings, and good reliability.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Yeah I know what you mean and the fontier pro is slow as mollases unless you sit on the dirty bag.

I dont care if I am stationary, but I dont want to sit around waiting in the middle of hiking.

That is what got me interested in using a part of these bag filters. I have been using MSR sweetwater drops that take 30 minutes which is not too bad.

Been thinking about a steripen too, but then your dealing with batteries.

Oh well.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

OK well i may have found the panacea of water filtration…6000 liters….filters EVERYTHING…weight is a mystery at this time…check this out and get your mind BLOWN. i may giveup my project because if its lightweight, i will probably spend the 150 anyway on all the parts and shipping for my system:

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I want one.

Did I hear that right that this thing will process salt water ??

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I dunno about salt water, but the smaller one does 4000 liters….I always knew the filtration industry was lagging behind current advances in technology. Word is the EU will ban all chemical treatment of water in the near future, thus companies will have to embrace these new nanotechs or GOOB (go out of business)

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Too bad its so heavy.

Since a steripen will kill bacteria and viruses all you need is a cyst filter unless you are dealing with pollution.

I am more interested in the jerrycan rig.

My parent live in the sticks, and there well goes out all the time. I got stuck there for a 1 1/2 days with no water early this year. Luckily I had my pack with me with a gravity filter and some MSR sweetwater.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Steripen does'nt kill cysts? My problem with the pen is it does nothing for taste.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Hmm, looks like it does kill cysts.

Thought it did not. Maybe someone else should pipe in.
    They are tough critters.

I originally thought you still needed to filter out the big stuff.

Still it would be pretty simple to filter through a 1/2 micron filter made out of a filter bag.

Steripen sells a 4 micron filter for filtering prior…

I have been playing around with a charcol filter drink bottle from Publix but its heavy. The charcoal filters are really cheap, like 2 for $7-8 and weigh just short of 2oz, but I cant find any other bottle it will fit in besides the factory bottle. I was hoping I could get one into a gatorade bottle, but no luck.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

DO you know if anyone has made a charcoal + steripen setup?

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

I made one out of a small spray bottle (removed the spray nozzle part) that fit perfectly beneath the Steri-Pen Prefilter. This bottle was the perfect diameter: not to tight and not too loose, plus it held a reasonable amount of activated carbon.

I drilled a series of tiny holes in the bottom of the bottle, filled it with aquarium carbon, and stuffed some open-cell (acquarium?) foam on top to act as a cap. I found another cap that fits the threads of the bottle to protect the foam when not in use.

Use: Insert carbon filter in the bottom of the Prefilter, screw Prefilter onto Cantene, pour dirty water thru Prefilter as usual (admire carbon filter working), remove Prefilter, use Steri-Pen as usual.

The only catch is you have to use a slightly larger bottle as the carbon filter sticks down about 1.5" (which touches the water on a 1 L Cantene or Nalgene). I use a 1.5 L Cantene.

The tricky part with construction is drilling the tiny holes: I have a set of ultra thin bits + hand drill that I used, but I suppose a larger hole + foam on the top and bottom would suffice.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

And how much does your setup weigh?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Not that I know of.

What I originally intended to do was make a cuben funnel with some cord to hang it, use spare pex tubing to hold it open. Sleeve around the top perimeter. Use a pex tubing connector in the bottom of the cuben funnel and you can insert a tube into that.

Inside that would go a bag filter shaped to the cuben funnel, sort of a medium size cone filter.

Then the tube would go to a charcoal filter then into my drinking bottle. Then sweetwater drops added into the drinking bottle. That or a steripen if I decide to go that route.

What I have not been able to figure out, is how to work in this cheap charcoal filter.

That said it doesnt flow any better than an aquamira filter. It works pretty good on the factory bottle though. Its a soft plastic bottle and if you squeeze it, it forces the water through pretty fast.

There is a guy on youtube that made a charcoal filter rig out of simple materials. Looked a bit heavy though.

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

The Prefilter with the carbon insert weighs 2 oz. Here are some pics:

Prefilter with Bottle:
    Prefilter with Bottle

Foam at Top of Bottle:
    Foam Insert

Holes at Bottom of Bottle:
    Holes at bottom of Bottle

Bottle attached to Prefilter
    Bottle attached to Prefilter

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools