Topic

material for a pack rod sock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear material for a pack rod sock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

looking for something light, but relatively soft- was thinking there might be something lighter than 100 polar fleece that might do the trick

thanks

Mike

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

It's soft and absorbent cotton, but weighs a few ounces. I think i will remake it from uncoated silnylon when i get some scraps.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah I've got an old one made out of flannel material- certainly soft, but like yours a little heavy

what about the material Buffs are made of- microfiber of some sort I think????

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I'm curious. Why do you need something "soft"? Why can't you just use silnylon?

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I use a plastic tube the pack rod came in. I'd think the issue wouldn't be padding so much as it would be protection from however you tie the rod to the pack. Keeping the rod from being snapped seems to me the challenge.

That said, last trip I had the collapsible ten dollar pole and reel tucked in the straps along the back of my Nimbus Ozone, ready for action. I didn't even strap it tightly, hooked the reel over the bottom strap to keep it from sliding out. I was hiking through a series of lakes and we stopped at each one to take pictures and cast a few – some nice brooks and rainbows hitting on my fly out there.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

just looking for something to protect the rod pieces from rubbing- maybe it doesn't have to be "soft" – the ones I've had in the past have always been flannel like material- silnylon might work?????

I'm using a 1/16" wall cellulose acetate butyrate tube-

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=12206

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools