Topic

Jam2 and bearikade expedition bear cannister

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jam2 and bearikade expedition bear cannister

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Locale: ADKs

My only pack is a Jam2, and I can't fit the bearikade expedition bear cannister inside with all my other gear. Does anyone recommend a decent way to attach the bear cannister to the outside of the pack?

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Since we don't know what your other gear is we don't know whether or not you can fit the Bearicade in your pack.

If you do attach it on the outside, the only place would be on top of the pack, not hanging off the back or from the bottom.

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Thanks, I'll post my gear in a sec

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqA9IJ39mdCDdEoweFJFT2dXWkU1MElCQWNxQmRGdEE&hl=en

The rain gear is heavy but is made of eVent and I don't have alternatives.

I'm considering leaving the booties and fleece pants at home, but I'm anticipating temperatures in the low 20's.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

The Jam 2 is a nice smallish pack but in my experience completely lacks the ability to strap large objects to the outside. I can't even figure out a way to accommodate a Weekender with my other gear, much less the Expedition.

Good luck,

Rick

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have an expedition and I think it would be difficult to carry outside any pack. It's made slippery on purpose. I'm not familiar with the Jam. Will the expedition fit inside it if you remove some of your gear? It may be better to carry some of your other gear in a waterproof stuff sack on top of the Jam and put the canister inside.

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

that's a good idea, I'll try that

I think the idea was that the empty canister is light and so wouldn't make the bag top heavy. I'll try it a few different ways.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Not that it really helps here, but the 2009 Jam has the ability to connect the side compressions straps to each other around the back, so you can strap stuff like a rolled sleeping pad and probably a bear canister to the back.

On an older Jam, you could try strapping it to the back by tying some thin rope, strapping or bungie cord to the side compression straps.

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W

how about a myog mesh stuff sack w/ some grosgrain hoop to run a strap through. might not be the most aerodynamic packing arrangement, but would ensure your can didn't run away down the mountainside….? the stuff sack could double as a pillow w/ some clothes stuffed inside.

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

Locale: New England

No matter how you configure things, 43 lbs in a Jam isn't gonna be terribly comfortable…at least it wouldn't be for me.

Personally I'd use a different pack if my load was that heavy.

The Garcia fits in my Jam with all my other gear, but I use a poncho tarp and chaps for shelter/rain gear.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I've carried over 43lbs in a Jam2 for training (water is heavy!) and just walking for an hour or two with it is pretty much torture. No. Support. At. All.

David Neves

@davidneves

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I didn't even need 43 lbs in a Jam2. I had just shy of 35 lbs for a day and could barely touch my shoulders for a few hours. I love the backpack but not for heavy loads.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

agreed, I did 35 in my Jam2 for one day and that was all the experience I needed for me to switch to my ULA Circuit for water heavy trips…

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

thanks guys, I will pursue other options and get back to you

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

I can't think of a way to attach a can to the outside of a Jam without major rejigging. I've carried the Garcia and Bearvault inside the Jam with the majority of the other gear underneath in the bottom half of the main compartment and things like rain gear stuffed around the can in the top half.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools