Topic

Couples gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Couples gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

When I'm not backpacking with my son and his Boy Scout troop, I tend to backpack with my wife.

We live in Las Vegas, and backpack in the So. NV/So. UT area, from about 2,000' up to around 12,000' elevation, and generally down to the mid 20's and up to way too hot.

My side of the gear list is designed not to change too much whether I'm backpacking with my wife or not. That is, my shelter and quilt is designed for the two of us, and I use the same whether I'm alone or with her. I know I have some room to improve my solo weight on the quilt, but my budget says it's fine for now.

My wife's side of the list is to ensure she is warm, dry, and comfortable…as is anyone's, but with a bit more built in safety.

Many of you have helped us get to where we are in our lightweight backpacking style, but this is the first time I've posted a gear list.

My gear list is posted here in my profile…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/de21903de72d94790c4ac430f312abbb.pdf

…we would love to get your input on where we can improve.

Thanks! John

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi John

I don'ty know your area, so it is hard to comment. Howver, I dd see:

> Platyppus Hoser 2.0L + drinking tube
    > Platyppus Hoser 3.0L + drinking tube
    > Aquafina Water Bottle 1.0L
    That's rather a lot of water storage – and awful heavy if carried full.

Cheers

Steven Inge

@tnis0612

That is quite a lot of water storage but, having been to Vegas this summer, it sure is dry! The heat isnt bad when you compare it to the humidity on the east coast but you sure do get thirsty quick!

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Yes it's allot of water storage, but there are few reliable water sources in many of our local areas. For example, our local 11,918' Charleston Peak…we like to do a loop hike of about 20 miles and one night…only 1 water source that's about 2.5 miles from the end. So we carry all the water needed for the 4,300' climb and most of the way back down.

When we do the Zion Narrows hike, we are following the virgin river the entire time, so I just bring a 1 liter bottle.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

1) You could shave off some weight by using down jackets instead of Primaloft ones. A Montbell E.X. Down Jkt is 5-6oz vs. 17oz. This is probably the biggest opportunity you have to save weight. If you opt for the Montbell parka's you can leave behind your 2.2oz beanie as well. If you went with the Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka it would be 10oz in size XL and right now you are carrying 19.2oz for the same purpose. These are on sale right now too for $130. Check out the gear deals section if you are interested.

2)The BPL Thorofare pants weigh 4oz, which is a lot lighter than your 9.4oz columbia zipped off pants. Instead of carrying 13.4oz (shorts + legs) you could carry just the Thorofare pants AND even add some 3oz shorts to your kit and you'd still be 6.4oz ahead.

3) It's not that heavy, but Jene's scarf (3.3oz) seems like an inefficient use of weight since it's difficult to utilize all of it. Perhaps you could take a neckwarmer instead. That might cut the 3.3oz in half. Again, a parka style jkt with a hood would probably eliminate the need for this.

4) You might want to plan the water a bit more aggressively. If you do the research and find that there is ample re-supply opportunities that you could probably leave behind a litre of water each.

5) Jene's NF Beanie, UnderArmour Cap and Bandana seem to all be of similar purpose (although the Bandana is also good for other stuff). Why not leave the cap at home and wear the bandana if it's hot and the fleece Beanie if it's cold?

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Thanks for your thoughts Dan. I have mostly focused on my gear and not clothing up until now as you have noticed, so your insight really helps.

I'm wondering if going with the Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka would allow me to leave the 8oz long johns shirt home as well. That would mean 10oz vs 27.2oz (17oz Primaloft jacket + 8oz base layer shirt +2.2oz beanie). A savings of 17.2oz would be huge – well worth the cost of the new parka. I'm not sure if the parka, my light nylon short sleeved shirt, and my GoLite Ether Jacket would be enough to keep me warm down to around freezing since I have never tried the parka on. Any thoughts on that?

Does anyone use the BPL Thorofare pants? I'm wondering about the fit and durability. Obviously 4oz vs 13oz is another large weight savings.

I think this approach would work well for Jene as well. Of course that doubles the cost! But it's a small price to pay for the added comfort. I just need to sell some of my old heavy gear to fund it!

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools