Topic

What is your “luxury” item?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is your “luxury” item?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

I very much enjoy the BPL forums but sometimes get the idea that everyone but me: carries sub 5 pound packs, hikes 30+ miles per day, sleeps on rocks with no pads, etc. I know this isn’t true, at least for many of you out there, but I am curious what you carry that you would consider a “luxury” item.

For me, my “luxury” item is a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Mattress with mummy cut. I like it for the following reasons:

>As a side sleeper it allows me go get through the night without my arm falling asleep.

>With one puff of air at sea level (half a puff at 10,000 feet) and a proper series of folds it fits perfectly in my GG Mariposa sleeve and provides super comfortable air suspension.

>It allows me to choose campsites without considering ground conditions.

I look forward to finding out what your “luxury” items are.

Casey

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

an inflatable bed of nails!!! i finally realized that sleeping on an ultralight rock bed just wasn’t austere enough for me. HAHAHA

Robert Miller

@procab

Apparently Steve prefers 16 penny titanium nails.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

A few years ago I was a tarp-sleeping, Mt. Washington pad-carrying zealot. I’ve backslid a bit since those days. Last night I slept on a InsulMat MaxThermo 3/4 for the first time and I think I’ve in love. And I’ve been known to carry a (gasp!)double-walled tent, the Montbell Diamond. Just don’t tell anyone.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

AM/FM/SW radio, Tecsun R919, about 7 ounces.

Camera, 6oz to 16oz, depending on the camera: Olympus Stylus 35mm point and shoot, or Konica/Minolta z-10 digital

Inflatable surplus MASH pillow, 6oz. (may now be defunct with new UL inflatable pillows)

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

My luxury item is a really cushy bed. I start with the MSR Zoid 1 tent (only about 5 ounces heavier than the Salathe bivy and Granite Gear White Lightning tarp it replaced – both of which were also somewhat toward the luxury end.) I put my empty Vapor Trail pack (perhaps another luxury in itself?) in the foot end of the tent (hipbelt up and at the very foot), then put my Prolite 3 short pad so it butts up against the pad. (Yep, another luxury.) At the head of the tent, I place my hiking shoes. Then I inflate my MSR Dromlite with air (unless it’s already filled with water), and lay it on top of the shoes for a pillow. (If I’m carrying a fleece top, and not wearing it to bed, I’ll wrap it around the Dromlite.) I now have an incredibly comfortable bed, even on the rock ledges I frequently choose as campsites.

For what it’s worth, my warm-weather base load is about 12 pounds, which means I leave the trailhead for a warm-weather, long-weekend trip carrying about 16 or 17 pounds; a cold-weather, 4-night trip gets me up to about 20 – 22 pounds.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

Very Funny Mr. Robert!! I didn’t see that one coming…. first names only please when doing impersonations :)

Yes, you are correct. I traded in my ultralight pumice stone RockRest for a bed of titanium nails. Now I finally get to use those bandaids I’ve been carrying in my 1st aid kit(that is until I make it to high yogi status.)

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

Ditto for me and the Insul Mat-thermo. I also use it for my pack frame in my Golite Breeze and my Granite Gear Virga.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Different for different seasons. With spring on the way I like to track elk, blackbear etc (not hunting): mini binocs and Canon SD500 are musts, but also a Princeton Tec Apex or a MyoBelt, instead of Tikka. Poncho-tarping makes this more enjoyable in subfreezing temps – I’m still under 9lbs before consumables (the volume reduction is the best thing tho). As to that half pound o’ headlamp… trying to see big game by day, then hoping NOT to see them at night, gets a little spooky for a solo hiker sometimes.

[cue horny elk bugle here…] okay so thats fall, guess I’m yella’ enough.

Dane Fliedner
    Spectator

@dfliedner

Locale: Orange County, CA

One word: hammock.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Water. I used to haul the dehydrated stuff, but decided that it’s worth the extra weight.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Bet ya didn’t think I’d chime in on this one, eh ;)

Yeah, I got my vices too.

For winter, it’s ski gear instead of snowshoes. Being able to hump back deep into the mountains for 3 or 4 days and 25 miles, and then ski the entire distance back to the car in a day is pretty cool.

On my long distance hikes w/o resupply, I’ve been adding a spare pair of insoles (superfeet or customs). Swapping out the old ones to let them recover, or burning them after 150 miles and replacing them with fresh ones is pure bliss.

Gummi bears and Swedish fish. No nutritional value and poor caloric density, but dang, they’re good.

For a lot of my mountain hikes, I’ve been taking a 20m x 6mm rope for short rappels. Opens up where I’m willing to go safely, especially when ridge scrambling.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Skis a luxury? Nah, it’s a lifestyle. I’ll never get over the thrill of the last day schuss to civilization.

A tin of smoked oysters—yummy—and the oil is great for Winter calories. Not for the cholesterol weary. And Vahlrona 71% dk. chocolate—yes!

Swedish fish? Then it’s not Lutefisk— now there’s an acquired taste.

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

Dehydrated Water – Scott, that is rich.

I’m one of those fortunate individuals that can sleep heads down on a rock and get a good night’s sleep – if I have a comfortable pillow. That’s right, I don’t usually carry a sleeping pad at all, but you’ll seldom find me without something cushy under my head.

Used to carry an 11oz pillow with pretty blue ticking – now I just use a down jacket or pants. Not too unusual except I do get a few stares when I pull a down jacket out of my pack on an August evening in Texas where it may be in the low 90’s at bedtime.

I did run into a guy hiking around Beaumont, Texas who carried a stuffed Teddy Bear to use as a pillow. I didn’t ask and he didn’t tell.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

single malt scotch. Hyland that is.

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My luxury? About 12 books.

Of course not books in paper form. While I really prefer to read real books, I’m not a masochist, so I subscribe to Audible.com and put them all on my 2 oz Creative Zen Nano Plus mp3 player.

Nothing is sweeter than listening to good literature while relaxing (or even at times when hiking).

Audible Books

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I don’t own it yet… but once I do (buying next week) my luxury item will be the new 3/4 length LuxuryLite EL cot… 12 oz packed plus 5 oz carried (side poles double as hiking sticks).

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

“Luxury” (as defined by this group) but really things I would not leave the trail head without.

Music (1.2 ounce MP3 player)
    Full length Ridgerest (12.6 ounces of pure bliss) should I choose to float in a lake on a layover day or lay in the sun.
    Wild Turkey wiskey.
    Clothes line with plastic clips.

I am also getting to the point where sleep without something soft under head is difficult. Must be age…’cause that was never the case in my younger days.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>For a lot of my mountain hikes, I’ve been taking a 20m x 6mm rope for short rappels.

In Hawaii we normally carried 15m of 1″ webbing or a 20m Beal Rando 8mm rope. There just seemed to be a lot of places we were willing to go up but that would be too hairy to get back down (especially if it was wet). What 6mm rope do you trust? (You weigh a lot less than me :)

The small FlexAir pillow has proven to be a useful bit of gear since I don’t have much of a clothing bag any more.

My heaviest “luxury” is to stick with my hammock, but a good night’s sleep is worth the weight.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Well now, this is a subject to dig into. But I will be brief in the interest of not “blissing out.” I have two luxury items. First, I, too, love my BG insulated Air Core. MY 57 year old bones just love streaching out on 78″ of pure heaven after a long day. And it makes a great float on high Sierra Lakes. Many are the days that I have lolled away and hour or two dangling my feet in the water as breezes pushed me around a lake.
    Second, at 20oz, my Sling Light aluminium hammock chair is the envy of every hiker I have met on the trail. When I have been in group camping situations (Sierra Club trips), I don’t dare get up from it for fear that someone else will appropriate it for the rest of the evening. I have cooked from it. I have sat on it at trail breaks while still attached to my pack. I have spent hours in the winter reading in it with my bag around me. And lastly, I have set it up in my tent during a rainy day and enjoyed back support while I read and watched the rain come down. No need to lie down or prop yourself up on your elbow or sit hunched over. Sling Light, a gift from the gods!!

Thought I would add the website to this great invention: http://www.slinglight.com/

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Well, I used to take a Roll-A-Stool camp stool. It was 14oz, but the lightest commercially availble stool I could find. Very comfy for my knees, nice to have a dry spot to sit when it rains, and great for sitting around camp or preparing a meal. I started playing around with some smaller diameter carbon tubing and was able to make a 5oz stool. Unfortunately it never felt too steady and to prove that point, one day it just splintered and collapsed.(This is generally not a good thing as the result of a collapse thrusts large sharp carbon spinters into…well lets just call it a delicate area.) Upon recovery, I moved to larger diameter fiberglass tubing and eventually got a stable stool at about 10 oz. Most recently, by laying up my own carbon fiber tubes, I have a stable 6.8oz stool. Mmmmm!!! The things we do to save an ounce. Still, a stool is sweet.
    -Mark

Andy Dixon

@sideshowandy

my luxury item is full size bino’s – 10x42s – 850g!!!

Patrick Miron

@pmiron

My luxury item is my silshelter by Integral Design. Its a little more long and large and i like to have place to sleep.

pat

Anonymous

Any pictures of the carbon fiber stool?
    Where did you get the supplies to make it?
    Any hints for learning how to work carbon fiber?
    Thanks

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Sorry about the delay on reply, just got back from a trip into the Guadelupe Mt Wilderness in west Texas.

Sure, I will try to post a picture and some “how to” on the carbon fiber tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep first.

-Mark

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools